• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS3000 CPS Troubleshooting Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Hey gents, I need some help here.

I purchased a new laptop, running Windows 10, and installed the correct (legally possessed) Sabre/XTS3000 CPS. However I keep getting "Communication With Radio Failed". Kinda stumped since...

-The serial to USB adapter I just bought has the proper drivers installed, and the computer recognized it correctly.
-This ribless cable has worked before without issue on other computers.
-Connections are tight and have good contact.
-Astro25 Portable CPS recognized and attempted to read the radio (tried it as a litmus test for the connection), so the correct Sabre/XTS3000 CPS should too.
-Correct port is selected.
-Running CPS as administrator.

I'm guessing I should try a different Serial to USB adapter? Any help?

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
32 or 64bit system? i believe the software wont work on 64. At least thats what i have gathered from other posts.
thats my first guess at the issue.
I have always used a RIB when programming any MTS2000 and XTS3000 units.
I only use ribless with my XTS2500 and APX units.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
It's 64-bit, which was the other thing I was thinking. This ribless cable has never given me issues before, though so I don't suspect that. Oh well, guess I'm making the 40min drive to the office to try the old 32-bit XP junker straight to a serial COM port.

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
I have a virtual XP environment on my WIN7 PRO 64bit VIDEO/DAW box.

This will work fine as long as you have a serial port and you install ASTRO CPS in the virtual WinXP environment.

I could never get serial over USB to work in the virtualized XP environment, but with a serial port it works fine.

Sometimes you have to reboot the WIN7 box if the serial port has been used for other applications when spinning up the virtual XP environment.

Craig

I don't recommend trying this on machines with limited RAM.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
OP, you stated Astro 25 Portable CPS…that is the wrong CPS. You need Astro Portable CPS (usually labeled Astro Saber and XTS3000).

Secondly, first generation Astro CPS will not work on a 64 bit OS without a 32 bit virtual system.

Under Window 7 Ultimate 32 bit I have never had an issue with first gen Astro software when using an adapter with a real prolific chip or a Brainbox adapter on either my Dell E series or my mid-2010 MacBook Pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
OP, you stated Astro 25 Portable CPS…that is the wrong CPS. You need Astro Portable CPS (usually labeled Astro Saber and XTS3000).

He only used ASTRO25 CPS to see if it was a communications issue. He's having problems with Astro CPS.

His problem is caused by the fact he's trying to use it on a 64 bit OS. Astro CPS was never updated to run on 64 bit machines and likely never will.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
He only used ASTRO25 CPS to see if it was a communications issue. He's having problems with Astro CPS.

Correct process of elimination was my thought process.

His problem is caused by the fact he's trying to use it on a 64 bit OS. Astro CPS was never updated to run on 64 bit machines and likely never will.

Thanks for the guidance guys. Should have thought about the fact I was using a 64 bit system, but work has left me a little oblivious lately, lol. Working great now on one of my company's old Windows XP systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.