• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Same Radio ID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EyesofDeath

Premium Subscriber
My employer issued me a motorola XTS 2500 and then I bought me a XTS 5000. I was figuring that I could keep one at the office and one at home. I programmed the XTS 5000 and everything is working fine. I took both radios home and got to checking the Radio IDs with my scanner. Both radios have the same ID. How is that possible? I thought each radio should have a different Radio ID number?

Thanks

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
You answered your own question, each radio "should" have a different radio ID number. But nothing stops you from programming the same in 2, several or all radios.

Makes it a little difficult to inhibit a specific radio and if you're trunking and SmartZone it can cause major issues.

And since you stated you programmed the radio, you are the one that made both radios have the same ID. :D

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Is it a trunked system or conventional?

If it's a conventional system, identical radio ID's will work fine, but it will cause issues if one of the radios gets lost/stolen and the system administrator attempts to kill it.

If it's a trunked system, identical radio ID's can be an issue.

Ideally, you do want different radio ID's, but getting those ID numbers really needs to come from your employer. That means you'd need to talk to them, and let them know you have your own radio. This may or may not go over well with the management. Just be ready to justify what you have done. As an employee, you do not technically have authority to add radios to an employers system as the license belongs (likely) to your employer and they are in control of the license and responsible for whatever happens on the system, even your own private radio. Of course many agencies just don't care.

EyesofDeath

Premium Subscriber
So if I was to add another agency to my coworkers radio (yes we are authorized to use the other agency's radio system). How do I keep his radio from changing over to my ID? I mean I dont want to have my 2 radios on my ID and then his on my ID making it 3 with my ID. Does that make sense?

Nevermind, lol, I see what I needed to do. Duh moment

Last edited:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
And herein lies the problem with people programming radios on a trunked system...you don't just pick a radio ID, it needs to assigned by the system owner/administrator.

SCPD

QRT
Not when it could jeopardize lives. Programming the same radio ID can have serious consequences for Public Safety Officials and still cost money troubleshooting and diagnosing for both Public Safety and non public safety.

EyesofDeath

Premium Subscriber
I understand the risk. I also made sure that my coworkers radio had the ID that was assigned by they Administrator. I did not change anything on his radio. I just added the Narco channels since we will be working a task force with them.

I asked a question and got my answer. Then I posted a retarded question cause I was dumb and not looking and not reading. After looking at my trunking system info I figured out my own answer.

Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.