• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

unable to program gm338

Status
Not open for further replies.

e0ne199

hello everyone, i have a problem about programming gm338 motorola rig...i have a RIB and its type is RPC-M5X-U (produced by maxtron) and i have CPS R06.12.05 AZ installed on win xp....when i tried to read the rig using software i mentioned before, it said "Couldn't open port. Check whether Device/RIB are powered on or not, and the Device to RIB, and the RIB to PC connection is OK"...i already checked its connection on the rig and my computer several times and it was connected properly and i also checked other problems related to it but until now but unfortunately i am still unable to figure out what is going on....i think my suspicion about why the error shows up is between the RIB that is incompatible with gm338 rig or the software that is out of date...can you help me with this problem? thx before :)

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you have the proper com port selected in CPS. I've used one of those multi radio ribless cables in a pinch before on a CDM1550 which is basically the same as a GM338 and it worked. Double check everything and keep trying.

e0ne199

Make sure you have the proper com port selected in CPS. I've used one of those multi radio ribless cables in a pinch before on a CDM1550 which is basically the same as a GM338 and it worked. Double check everything and keep trying.

i have also checked the COM port but it is still unsuccessful...do you have any other advice? thx for replying 😊

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Try another cable. Perhaps a stand alone cable specific for that radio. I only use those do it all cables in a pinch and got lucky I guess and it worked.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
hello everyone, i have a problem about programming gm338 motorola rig...i have a RIB and its type is RPC-M5X-U (produced by maxtron) and i have CPS R06.12.05 AZ installed on win xp....when i tried to read the rig using software i mentioned before, it said "Couldn't open port. Check whether Device/RIB are powered on or not, and the Device to RIB, and the RIB to PC connection is OK"...i already checked its connection on the rig and my computer several times and it was connected properly and i also checked other problems related to it but until now but unfortunately i am still unable to figure out what is going on....i think my suspicion about why the error shows up is between the RIB that is incompatible with gm338 rig or the software that is out of date...can you help me with this problem? thx before :)
Would you kindly post the full model number of that radio. You will find it printed on a label on the bottom of the radio.

Secondly, we need to know what version of Windows you are running and if your PC has a serial port or just a USB port.

Third, please open the CPS and click on HELP and then ABOUT CPS. We need to know the full name of the CPS that you are using. R06.12.05 is a version level, not the type of CPS.

Please tell us your location. Without knowing what country you are in, it makes it even more difficult to offer a useful answer to your problem.

e0ne199

sorry for the late post..

you can check the version of GM338 i am trying to program and CPS i am using on my attachment below..

Attachments

• DSC_2297.JPG
    DSC_2297.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 714
  • DSC_2298.JPG
    DSC_2298.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 600
Status
Not open for further replies.