• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

programming ht1250 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

njffemt08

Was emtfirebug14
Premium Subscriber
hey yall i acquired software to reprogram my ht1250. when i try to read the radio it keeps telling me that there are no comms ports. i bought a brandnew cable and all drivers are installed. i believe software 6.12.09. any help is greatly appreciated.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
1.Are you using a USB cable?
2.Are you using a 9 pin cable? Is it a ribless cable? If not do you have a motorola RIB?
3.Have you picked the correct com port in the software that is show in windows device manager?
4.If you have picked the correct com port have you set the com port to the settings listed in the Motorola Software?

njffemt08

Was emtfirebug14
Premium Subscriber
sorry forgot to put that i am using a usb cable and that what ever comm port i select it says the same thing. i have tried the cable in all 4 of my usb slots on my laptop

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
hey yall i acquired software to reprogram my ht1250. when i try to read the radio it keeps telling me that there are no comms ports. i bought a brandnew cable and all drivers are installed. i believe software 6.12.09. any help is greatly appreciated.
Connect the cable to the computer. Then open up the Device Manager and Find the Ports (COM & LPT). Double click on that and select your USB cable.

Tell us EXACTLY what the name of the cable is.

Then double click on it and you'll get the Properties window. Click on the driver tab. It would be best if you could post screen shot of the window display, but if you can't please tell us the Driver Provider and the Driver Version.

This may well be a small problem in your computer and have nothing to do with the radio or the CPS. Let's sort this out first.

It would also be more than a little helpful to know what version of Windows you are running.

njffemt08

Was emtfirebug14
Premium Subscriber
i will try going through my device manager tonight when i get home from work. i am running windows 7. i am using the same computer to program a kenwood 2180 and i have no issues reading that cable

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber
Are you running the windows software in the classic theme? When I ran it, it gave me the same error and I changed the windows theme to classic and it worked fine then.

Those views reflected here by me do not reflect those of my department.

njffemt08

Was emtfirebug14
Premium Subscriber
I would assume so I just had the computer rebuilt by Microsoft and I havent touched any setting other then putting it into projector to extend my screen

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
i will try going through my device manager tonight when i get home from work. i am running windows 7. i am using the same computer to program a kenwood 2180 and i have no issues reading that cable

While you are in the Device Manager, make a note of what Com Port is assigned to the cable.

Plug in the cable, do the Device Manager lookup and make note of which Com Port is assigned. Then, with the radio on connect the cable to the radio, then fire up the CPS. Do this next step exactly as I am giving it to you. Click on File and then click on Read Device in the drop down. When you do that, you'll get a little window asking you to select the Com Port. Select the same Com Port as the Device Manager indicated, and you should be able to read the radio.

If this doesn't solve the problem, we'll need to take a closer look at your USB cable and the driver. But let's do this first. Since you are running Win 7, you won't have the "latest driver" problem. Win 10 is too smart for its own good because it wants to find and assign the absolute latest driver for each device. More on that if you don't get it going with the above info.

njffemt08

Was emtfirebug14
Premium Subscriber
could it be possible that i may also have to update my operating system as well

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
could it be possible that i may also have to update my operating system as well
Highly unlikely. Almost every time someone has the "can't read the radio" or "computer doesn't see the cable" problems, the solution turns out to be pretty simple and straightforward. You are using the latest (and final) version of the Pro Series CPS, and you're using Win 7 which has very few problems with this CPS.

Just do what I asked first before you worry about anything else.

njffemt08

Was emtfirebug14
Premium Subscriber
ok i have gone through that process. it now registers the cable and what comm it is in. when i go to file then read radio it says "couldnt open port.check whether device/rib on or not, and the device to rib, and rib to pc connection are ok"

njffemt08

Was emtfirebug14
Premium Subscriber
do you mean when i go to read radio selecting the port that the cable is plugged into

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
do you mean when i go to read radio selecting the port that the cable is plugged into
Go back and re-read my directions in Post #9. It tells you when to select the port as you go to read the radio.

That would be the MOTOROLA SOFTWARE it also states port speeds like 9600 8 none and 1 those have to match also. What version Motorola CPS are you using?
He said in his original post that he is using R06.12.09. In Post #11, I clearly stated that he was using the latest version of the Pro Series CPS which has very few problems running on Win 7.

There should be no need to adjust port speed, etc. It works fine with default settings.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
Steve I just remember my old days programming
I understand that, but this series of radios uses a CPS that was written for windows, and updated at version R06.12.05 specifically for Win 7 64 bit. Windows software rarely needs fine tuning of the ports like the DOS based programs did. Been there, done that.

All the OP should have to do is make sure the proper Com Port for his cable is properly assigned in the software. I gave him clear directions on how to do that.

njffemt08

Was emtfirebug14
Premium Subscriber
stevec0625. i followed exactly what you said and thats the message i get now

njffemt08

Was emtfirebug14
Premium Subscriber
is it possible that because its a generic usb cable that that maybe the issue

Status
Not open for further replies.