RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum - For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2017, 3:30 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 107
Default Capacity plus registration / repeater wakeup?

So I think I just learned the hard way (after smoking a Stridsberg multicoupler) that my XPR 4550's are sending RF of some sort when changing cap+ sites. It's just a little blip of rf wattage on my cheapo watt meter but enough to register.

Any idea what the radio is doing? I assumed short of a CON+ system there wouldnt be any affiliation packets so I thought I was safe.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2017, 8:20 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Boyton Beach, FL
Posts: 169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs0980 View Post
So I think I just learned the hard way (after smoking a Stridsberg multicoupler) that my XPR 4550's are sending RF of some sort when changing cap+ sites. It's just a little blip of rf wattage on my cheapo watt meter but enough to register.

Any idea what the radio is doing? I assumed short of a CON+ system there wouldnt be any affiliation packets so I thought I was safe.
Depends on your code plug. Most people have an Automatic Registrion Server (ARS) specified an many of the chanels set to send ARS on channel and / or system change.

-----
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2017, 8:36 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Eagan MN
Posts: 136
Default

I have a 6550 and what I believe is when the radio dose not hear any Capacity Plus data it sends a blip of data to key up one of the repeaters to see if its in range. I don't believe The radio is affiliating like radios do on Con+ or P25 trunking systems.
__________________
Thanks, dgruber
Ham: KE0DPC, GMRS: WQXZ649
BCD396XT, CS750, XPR 6550, XPR 7550, XTS1500, XTS 2500, XTS 3000, XTS 5000.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2017, 9:12 PM
gtaman's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GALAXY 19 91.0 W
Posts: 675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs0980 View Post
So I think I just learned the hard way (after smoking a Stridsberg multicoupler) that my XPR 4550's are sending RF of some sort when changing cap+ sites. It's just a little blip of rf wattage on my cheapo watt meter but enough to register.

Any idea what the radio is doing? I assumed short of a CON+ system there wouldnt be any affiliation packets so I thought I was safe.
It's affiliation. CAP+ systems use it. I have an XPR 4550 and a 6550 every few times I change groups I get a single flash on the LED. It's just telling the controller you join or leave a group. Also if the system has a rest channel set up then it will be more often.
__________________
My RT-1523E SINCGARS is just an oversized armored Motorola Maxtrac.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2017, 9:00 AM
N1GTL's Avatar
Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs0980 View Post
So I think I just learned the hard way (after smoking a Stridsberg multicoupler) that my XPR 4550's are sending RF of some sort when changing cap+ sites. It's just a little blip of rf wattage on my cheapo watt meter but enough to register.

Any idea what the radio is doing? I assumed short of a CON+ system there wouldnt be any affiliation packets so I thought I was safe.
I'm taking this to mean you have a Linked Capacity Plus site? Otherwise, it is a single site, not sites.

Either way, yes, the radios send a brief burst of data when they turn on. Neither Capacity Plus nor Linked Capacity Plus have a "controller" in the standard way we are used to. PassPort, Connect Plus and other systems use a controller but all the controlling in CP systems is handle by the repeater(s).

I doubt that your meter would react fast enough to measure the wattage and, when measuring output of a subscriber with a standard watt meter, it is going to be inaccurate. The subscribers switch on and off rapidly. I find that when using an analog watt meter and measuring the output of a 40 watt mobile, it will typically read 15-18 watts. Putting the subscriber on an R8000B, which can measure MotoTRBO output will give you an accurate reading, but intermittently. (hard to explain).

ARS is a setting that will tell the radio to register with, usually, a third party application (text/mail server, GPS, dispatch console, etc). That will result in a little more activity when you turn a subscriber on.
__________________
Connecticut Database Administrator
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1GTL View Post
I'm taking this to mean you have a Linked Capacity Plus site? Otherwise, it is a single site, not sites.
Its two seperate Cap+ sites. The output is on the front end of the new channel of the new site when first changing. It only seems to do it once per site change.


Quote:
Originally Posted by N1GTL View Post
Either way, yes, the radios send a brief burst of data when they turn on. Neither Capacity Plus nor Linked Capacity Plus have a "controller" in the standard way we are used to. PassPort, Connect Plus and other systems use a controller but all the controlling in CP systems is handle by the repeater(s).
Any idea what's included in that burst?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1GTL View Post
I doubt that your meter would react fast enough to measure the wattage and, when measuring output of a subscriber with a standard watt meter, it is going to be inaccurate. The subscribers switch on and off rapidly. I find that when using an analog watt meter and measuring the output of a 40 watt mobile, it will typically read 15-18 watts. Putting the subscriber on an R8000B, which can measure MotoTRBO output will give you an accurate reading, but intermittently. (hard to explain).

ARS is a setting that will tell the radio to register with, usually, a third party application (text/mail server, GPS, dispatch console, etc). That will result in a little more activity when you turn a subscriber on.
No ARS or GPS enabled one these. I figured the reading wouldnt be accurate. The way SDR sharp was jumping I imagine it could be full power. It seems to be too quick for DMRdecode and DSD+ to register any data. I'm certain I've turned these Cap+ sites on before without an antenna connected. I hope it's not long enough to do any damage.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2017, 1:31 PM
N1GTL's Avatar
Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 613
Default

I'll read through the system planner tomorrow to see if it mentions what the burst is. They don't register in the normal sense. The burst is with or without ARS.
__________________
Connecticut Database Administrator
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2017, 10:41 AM
N1GTL's Avatar
Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 613
Default

I'd guess this is the initial data burst:

When there is no inbound traffic for a specified duration (Subscriber Inactivity Timer), the repeater stops transmitting and enters an inactive state. In this inactive state, the repeater is not transmitting, but instead it is listening for transmissions. When the user or radio needs to transmit
through the repeater, the radio sends a wake-up message to the repeater. Upon receiving the wake-up message, the repeater activates and begins transmitting idle messages. The radio then synchronizes with the repeater before it begins its transmission.The repeater wake-up sequence is configurable within the radio. The number of wake-up attempts (“TX Wakeup Message Limit“) and the time between the attempts (“TX Sync Wakeup Time Out Timer”) may be altered if required to operate with other vendor’s systems. It is recommended that these values remain at default while operating on MOTOTRBO systems.
__________________
Connecticut Database Administrator
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2017, 1:01 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 107
Default

Interesting. I'm going through the system planner as we speak also. It's funny how informative it is while still being quite vague on some subjects.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions