RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum - For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2017, 11:15 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default APX Unified Call List Import from CSV

A friend and I (mostly the friend) have come up with a program that will automatically create a Unified Call List XML file suitable for importing into an APX radio. Basically, a customer can provide a spreadsheet with the proper information and in about 2.3 seconds, this program will take the spreadsheet and create the XML file.

We have done this on the premise that there are 2 conventional systems created in the APX CPS and they are the default names (Cnv Sys 1 - ASTRO & Cnv Sys 2 - MDC).

The CSV file needs the following in order:
Column A: Contact Name
Column B: MDC ID
Column C: Astro25 Conventional ID
Column D: Astro25 Trunk ID

Not all fields are required. If only an Astro25 Conventional ID is needed, columns B and D can be blank.

If anyone out there has a spreadsheet with a lot of contacts and even one of the ID columns, I'd love to get a copy and test it out and troubleshoot anything that may have been missed. I'll move the columns around if necessary. I just don't want to create a spreadsheet with 200+ contacts; I'd rather have a real life list. I'll even provide XML files back for importing into your APX code plug.

Please private message me for my contact information.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 03-14-2017, 1:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

akardam.net APX UCL Builder R01.03.00
Old 03-14-2017, 4:54 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfd119 View Post
I did see this. It seems way more complicated than the 4 columns I need. I couldn't figure out the spreadsheet.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:31 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'd love to see what you have if you're willing to share!
Old 03-17-2017, 12:02 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It's still a work in progress. Validation is being added. If any invalid characters are entered, it will report the errors. Likewise if the contact name is greater than 14 characters, it will report that back. Its also going to make sure there are not duplicate contact names.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:17 PM
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1GTL View Post
Its also going to make sure there are not duplicate contact names.
The APX UCL allows for up to five IDs to be assigned to a single contact name, so take that into consideration for any validation routines. Simply preventing any duplicate contact names would be counterproductive.
Old 03-17-2017, 4:11 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR8000 View Post
The APX UCL allows for up to five IDs to be assigned to a single contact name, so take that into consideration for any validation routines. Simply preventing any duplicate contact names would be counterproductive.
If I duplicate a contact name, it gets highlighted in red. I understand numbers may be duplicated but I don't thing the contact name can. As far as the IDs I'm just making sure an MDC ID is nothing but hex values and digital IDs are numbers, not letters and no more than 8 digits.
Old 03-17-2017, 4:18 PM
Database Admin

You cannot have duplicate contact names in the UCL itself (that is to say, when looking at the list in CPS all contact names must be unique). However, since you can assign up to five IDs to a contact name, it wouldn't be unusual for the spreadsheet or csv used for importing to contain rows with duplicate contact names. (Note that the limit of five IDs per contact name takes into account the combined total of different types of IDs assigned; MDC, P25 Conventional, ASTRO 25, etc.)

I'm not sure why you had difficultly making sense of adardam's UCL Builder, it's pretty straightforward. That being said, an "offline" program that accomplishes the same would be handy, should his website go belly up. I'm watching this thread with interest.
Old 03-18-2017, 9:59 AM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I still have not gotten any senders offering a spreadsheet for me to test. I am sure, somewhere out there, someone must have a spreadsheet with a few hundred contacts and MDC, Astro25 Conv and/or trunked ID's. I'm offering to proved the XML for nothing. I typed in 15 contacts with a mix of the above systems and it worked. I have not tested it with the error checking features.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:38 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Jim,
Check your PMs.

Greg
Old 03-19-2017, 2:37 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I got your file. The first problem was 55,000 records which is way above the limit of an APX UCL. No biggie, I just deleted a bunch.

The second issue I ran into is duplication of call signs. The UCL must have a unique contact, no duplicates. One of your contacts had 7 DMR ID's. The program did not like that. There was also one row with no call sign. Again, that's an issue.

What you sent was exactly what I wanted so I can test things out and create error checking. The program will report back unusable values so they can be corrected.

Thank you. I will be working on this more tonight.
Old 03-20-2017, 8:41 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm just not sure why you're trying to reinvent the wheel here? The UCL import tool I linked above works flawless and has been used by a lot of people.
Old 03-20-2017, 3:57 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfd119 View Post
I'm just not sure why you're trying to reinvent the wheel here? The UCL import tool I linked above works flawless and has been used by a lot of people.
I couldn't figure it out and I have a strong enough programing ability to write my own.