• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX CPS: Sort Voice Announcement List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Hey all,

I'm new to doing voice announcements - it could stand to be useful on one of my APX mobiles where the control head isn't easily visible to the operator. I've created MVA files for every channel/zone I need, but when I load them in to the codeplug (Radio Ergo>Voice Announcements>Voice Announcement List, then selecting the files in the 'open' dialog that follows), they do not end up in any kind of sorted format (i.e. alphabetically). This unsorted format persists throughout the codeplug, so that when I go to assign a VA to a channel or zone in the Zone Channel Assignment page, I have to hunt through the unsorted list to find the announcement I want to use.

Is there seriously not a 'sort' function in the table view (or elsewhere)? Am I to resort to dragging (to manually sort) all the VA files?

Thanks in advance...

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
APX CPS isn't big on enhancements that would make the user experience better. I like things to be alphabetical and have always wished for a sort function.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
Is there seriously not a 'sort' function in the table view (or elsewhere)? Am I to resort to dragging (to manually sort) all the VA files?

There seriously isn't. It has been requested numerous times to the CPS engineers to allow for sorting. This becomes a big problem when you use all 2,000 allowed.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I ended up deleting the whole of "Voice Announcement List" and carefully adding them in sorted order (thankfully I didn't have to do them one at a time). I tried before that to export that list to XML, re-sort it, and import it, but it wouldn't import (and the ever-helpful reason was: "Can't import va.xml").

But having deleted the whole list, every zone and channel in the codeplug is now having a panic attack at having its VA set to <null>, so I now go back and do that part over again.

Oh well, nobody ever said this was easy...

N1GTL

Database Admin
You can (sort of) sort them alphabetically but you have to have them all created and import them in one shot. I have a code plug with 369 voice files. I created all of the .mva files and put them in a single folder. In CPS, go to the voice announcement list screen and click the PLUS sign. Navigate to the folder where all your voice files are. Sort the window by file name. Single click on the first voice file name. Scroll to the bottom, hold shift, and single click on the last file. It will add them all in alphabetical order so when you go to assign them in the zone assignments, they will be in order in the drop down. The only time I have found it to be a headache is when I have to add new channels and voice announcements after the fact at which time they show up on the bottom of the list.

It does require a bit of pre-planning and it does work. Although, I agree that Motorola could easily resolve this in CPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.