RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum - For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2017, 1:16 PM

nope. so being partially phase 2 would cause me to hear some bit not all traffic?
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2017, 1:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Bingo.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2017, 1:19 PM

damm. Who has an APX for sale
Old 10-14-2017, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicDavid78 View Post
setting Coverage Type to SmartZone causes the radio to constantly search for a tower Site
Nonsense.
Old 10-14-2017, 5:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Exactly

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2017, 5:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Only way I've seen it try to affiliate as if I manually put the radio on a trucking talk group that's why your channel selector becomes your Zone selector so you can't do that and if you hit the push to talk button the way to scan list is setup it's set for fixed so when I try to transmit it's always going to go back to the conventional Channel which I have to receive inhibited on it makes sense

Old 10-15-2017, 8:04 AM

Iím betting that they have encryption turned on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2017, 11:20 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Who knows my experience my County just switch to the p25 9600 before that we was on a mix mode and most of my County was on analog and I was having trouble picking up the new system talk groups it was mentioned to me that my radio probably needed to be relined my XTS 1500 was 128 kilohertz off frequency and 5000 was close to 100 after I sent them off to get aligned I rarely miss a call unless I'm on one of those single sites my county is a simulcast but they have individual sites on the county Edge I'm assuming for overlap to fill-in the dead spots I've noticed if I got the radio in a certain spot even though I'm picking up the control Channel good the voice Channel might not be so good in my experience I just moved the radio and then start here in traffic that happened on analog also you get a voice channel is coming in good in the next one might be a little fuzzy I'm thinking that might be what kind of problem he's having if it was me I'd go up close to one of those sites I see if I still have the same issue

Old 10-15-2017, 4:35 PM

Selecting SmartZone will always force affiliation if the channel containing the talkgroup is selected using the channel selector. Whether it does the same thing when the radio has scan stopped on a non-priority scan list channel that is not selected is something I do not know.

On the other hand, if selecting SmartZone does not cause an affiliation on a non-selected scan list landing, then it will do nothing for you. What SmartZone activation does (in addition to sending periodic affiliation messages) is to cause the radio to evaluate received signal strength of the control channel, compare that to a table of acceptable values programming into your radio to see if the radio should remain on that site, and, if not, causing the radio to sample the list of adjacent site control channel frequencies that are periodically broadcast by the control channel beacon.
Old 10-15-2017, 5:08 PM
KE4FHH
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKG View Post
Selecting SmartZone will always force affiliation if the channel containing the talkgroup is selected using the channel selector. Whether it does the same thing when the radio has scan stopped on a non-priority scan list channel that is not selected is something I do not know.

On the other hand, if selecting SmartZone does not cause an affiliation on a non-selected scan list landing, then it will do nothing for you. What SmartZone activation does (in addition to sending periodic affiliation messages) is to cause the radio to evaluate received signal strength of the control channel, compare that to a table of acceptable values programming into your radio to see if the radio should remain on that site, and, if not, causing the radio to sample the list of adjacent site control channel frequencies that are periodically broadcast by the control channel beacon.
The radio will not attempt to affiliate if you are on a conventional channel and scan a SmartZone talkgroup, unless you have the scan list set for Talkback and bump the PTT. Then it will attempt to affiliate, even if you have TG/AG Disabled checked. TG/AG Disabled does nothing to stop the radio from affiliating.

In the end, if you see the red LED blink, you've done something wrong and you should go back and read more.
Old 10-15-2017, 9:35 PM

The very nature of SmartZone is to tell the system central controller to direct the talkgroup you're on to be sent to the site you're on. If you roam out of your normal coverage area (say you're listening to the north site's tac 1 channel and have to go to the south site's coverage area) then the talkgroup you've selected will follow you.

That's how smartzone works and of course it demands that the radio affiliate with the site. So that's a primary reason why the right way to scan has you NEVER directly selecting a trunked talkgroup. That's why I say to park all your talkgroups out of range of the channel selector knob's range. Set up, for example, a zone with 32 channels in it and conventional channels are on the first 16 positions and you put the trunking talkgroups on positions 17 thru 32. As long as you don't also program up a CHAN or SUB menu into the radio, you will then not be able to directly select the trunked groups.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have also found that setting the TX offset to 0 instead of - 45 eliminates any chance of affiliating
Old Yesterday, 2:27 PM

The only issues I believe is on just one talk group, that is my city police. The county sheriff talk-group seems to work fine and Iím not missing traffic , i believe it is because maybe county sheriff is monitored by the highway patrol which is on a P25 phase 1 so all of the county sheriff is on phase 1 while the city police is on a combination pf phase 1 and 2. Unless something else is up thats making me loose traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk