• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR 6580 stuck in Flash Zap

Status
Not open for further replies.

armymarshall1

I was curious if anyone has ever had any experience with 6580s or 6550s becoming stuck in Flash zap boot loader mode and getting it out or unstuck of that mode and putting it back into service.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Usually, it is a bad flex and/or case. It happens on the XTS2500 as well. You can try a case/flex swap and see if the problem goes away. What's happening is that the Emergency and PTT buttons are being held down when you turn the radio on. Although you are not physically holding them down, the radio thinks that they are, so it goes into FlashZap mode.

armymarshall1

thank you

I was unaware of that very good to know. However I believe that the issue I'm having is from someone trying to update the firmware and the radio becoming unplugged. Then the radio becomes stuck in that flash zap screen. I did try a housing swap, but unfortunately that did not work. While it's stuck in this screen, radio will not read. I thought I might be able to recover or update the radio. That also did not work. I have yet to dive into the detailed service manual to find a solution. I have a feeling though that the manual will only tell me to send radio to Depot. Which I am trying to avoid because I believe that it is a $300 fix.

Thank you very much for the quick response though. I am always happy to learn something new. If you have any other ideas on this matter. Please let me know, dying to find the fix.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I had an XTL get stuck due to Windows forcing an update during a firmware update of the XTL. It bricked the XTL. I just kept trying over and over to write the firmware to the radio and it finally took. Good luck.

armymarshall1

I tried the recover, update, and convert options and they did not work. The radio that is stuck in the flash zap mode, refuses to make any connection through the accessory port while in that mode. I also tried an old trick that I have used to clear PWs out of CP200s. Use another radio just to start the process and then once it asks you if you would like to continue, switch radios.That also did not work :(.....

Thanks for the ideas

com501

This is a reminder for anyone programming/flashing radios to ALWAYS have updates set to not be automatic. You can even do this in Win10.

N4KVE

My programming laptop has no way to get on the internet. Wifi is turned off on it, so no updates, or viruses are possible. I have a separate laptop for the internet, but it only updates when I power it down.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Trust me. I had updates set to never, but Microsoft somehow figured out how to force the update anyway.

For me, I tried several different things. I swapped control heads and tried several different programming cables, but nothing worked. I was able to communicate with the radio, but the firmware update continued to fail. In the end, I sync'd the control head and then kept trying the firmware update. It must have failed half a dozen times, but it finally took.

Status
Not open for further replies.