RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum - For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2018, 11:11 AM

Default Control Channels non affiliate

My question is regarding me to missing partial radio traffic on my Motorola apx set up to not affiliate. I have programmed the control channels, as well as the alternate control channels and the control frequency’s for the other sites on my system... all this info was obtained from unitrunker.. my question is that is having to many frequencies programmed in to the radio causing some delay when I’m receiving traffic? Should I just program the main control channel(the one I have unitrunker parked in)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2018, 6:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Unfortunately with that method you are guaranteed to miss traffic if the system is busy to start with. There’s a topic that details how to properly program the radio to NAS and you won’t miss any traffic either
If you search NAS you will find something
Also there’s YouTube videos on how to properly program the radio as well
Old 03-13-2018, 6:30 PM

Using no affiliate scan, typical culprits for the described behavior include:

* System search time - set this to 255 seconds. Default is 2 and can cause the radio to miss traffic as it bounces back to the conventional channel too often.

* Radio holding on conventional channel too long due to carrier / squelch settings. Be sure you have selected a dead channel so the radio quickly ignores it quickly and goes back to the trunking control channel to listen.

* Radio is locking onto a control channel belonging to an adjacent site. However, this is unlikely given your report that the radio is unmuting late on a conversation. Still, it would be good practice to eliminate adjacent site's control channels until you achieve desired operation on one. My preferred method is to use separate Trunking Systems for each site on a system so I can force the radio to one site or another, depending on the desired talkgroup(s) I wish to hear.

* Radio is out of alignment.
Old 03-13-2018, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outerdog View Post
Using no affiliate scan, typical culprits for the described behavior include:

* System search time - set this to 255 seconds. Default is 2 and can cause the radio to miss traffic as it bounces back to the conventional channel too often.

* Radio holding on conventional channel too long due to carrier / squelch settings. Be sure you have selected a dead channel so the radio quickly ignores it quickly and goes back to the trunking control channel to listen.

* Radio is locking onto a control channel belonging to an adjacent site. However, this is unlikely given your report that the radio is unmuting late on a conversation. Still, it would be good practice to eliminate adjacent site's control channels until you achieve desired operation on one. My preferred method is to use separate Trunking Systems for each site on a system so I can force the radio to one site or another, depending on the desired talkgroup(s) I wish to hear.

* Radio is out of alignment.

Thanks for the suggestions and I will verify these setting on the cps when I get a chance.

Old 03-13-2018, 9:45 PM

Default Control Channels non affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDIC135 View Post
Unfortunately with that method you are guaranteed to miss traffic if the system is busy to start with. There’s a topic that details how to properly program the radio to NAS and you won’t miss any traffic either
If you search NAS you will find something
Also there’s YouTube videos on how to properly program the radio as well

Can you link me to the method thread? I couldn’t find it. And what other method is there?

Last edited by rivera293; 03-13-2018 at 10:07 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2018, 11:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivera293 View Post
Can you link me to the method thread? I couldn’t find it. And what other method is there?

PM was sent to you