• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Read a Password-Protected Mototrbo DP4400

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxelBelucci

Hello

Can someone help me? I recently bought two DP4400 UHF MDH56RDC9JA1AN radios on Ebay.
The two are password protected and no one knows when and which password was programmed.

1. Radio: R02.40.00
2. Radio: R02.40.02

I am using the following CPS 15.0 build 752

I have already tried the program Wireshark, but it does not show me the password.

Or is there already a code plug with the same model number?

Can someone help me or can I throw them away because the sellers will not take them back?

Thank you

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
From Codeplug password recovery

You can get rid of password protection. You just clone an existing codeplug, of the same model, over the passworded radio one. Make sure you tick the 'clone radio identity' box under preferences.

What you can't do, is bypass the password to see what the original codeplug was. (Which is quite interesting sometimes, to see how other engineers have programmed features in certain ways).

EDIT: I should have kept on reading:

If you don't need the programming, there is now an easier way to get rid of the password - simply go to device 'recover' in the cps. this will default your device to factory standard settings.

OR, if you need the information from the codeplug (or you are trying to add handsets to a dealer who has gone bust's system ....)

Use wireshark.

Start the cps, and start wireshark.

select the port the radio is connected to, and start wireshark recording / sniffing

read the radio, until it gets to the password input box.

go to wireshark and stop the recording

sift through the large data packet. it should be one of the last few sniffed if you stopped wireshark shortly after the password box came up

You are looking for a word or numbers with full stops in between - so a password of 'password' would be displayed in wireshark as p.a.s.s.w.o.r.d

its usually just before the radio name, so if you are reading a display radio, then its very easy, just look at the display when you turn it on, and look for that in the wireshark dump.

This was my first time doing this, and with a bit of paper and ten mins, password was found, and saved a lot of ball ache trying to re program some radios and a repeater etc.

AxelBelucci

Codeplug password recovery

Hello,

I had already tried this with the program Wireshark, but that does not work. I had tried for safety's sake with my radio DP3400 and that worked.

For the two DP4400, the line "e8" is always missing where the password is.I also tried the recovery function, but there I always get an error.
Concerning the same code plug I could not try it, because I do not have one. Can you tell me where I can find a code plug with the same model?

Thank you

AxelBelucci

Hello,

Would not it be possible to change the model number in an existing codeplug?

Thank you

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
When it became known that the codeplug password was being sent in the clear and could be snooped with WireShark, Motorola closed that hole.

You cannot change the model number with CPS.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
To successfully perform the recovery, you will need to install the same or newer version of matching firmware into your computer that has the CPS installed. WE use this method to clear TRBO radios all of the time. TT

Status
Not open for further replies.