• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4ktr

Premium Subscriber
Looking to have a little discussion no stupid bs here's what I want to know licensing a side licensing is not a problem say I wanted to purchase some used 800 megahertz quantars what other Motorola parts are required to create a p25 Phase 1 trunking System

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
You'll definitely need some deep pockets!

At a minimum, you'll need a repeater for each channel (along with all of the various components involved in a repeater station) You'll also need the "brains" of the trunking system... a central controller, along with all of the associated hardware and proprietary software. I'm not sure that you could find the latter items at you local swap meet.

k4ktr

Premium Subscriber
I am aware of needing the repeater i want to know about the rest of it what controllers and software and all that do i need

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Call Sunny Comms, they have an Astro 25 7.12 System sitting in inventory they are looking to offload.

For a basic site setup, you’ll need the repeaters and a controller. They’ll be stuck in site trunking without the core though.

For all intents a purposes, it’s almost easier to build an intellirepeater site (3600 bps control channel) or a new system from another vendor’s equipment. For reference, you can build an EFJ P25 System for the same price as Connect Plus with the proper equipment selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
and you'll need all the site routers, all the various parts and pieces. A core itself also requires expertise and setup. Unless you or someone has training at the ST level, it's not like the parts are "plug and play". Didn't mention what you intend to use for backhaul (T1/channel banks versus IP microwave, fiber, etc). And then there is that licensing issue, not talking about FCC licensing, I mean MSI. Depending on the core release is what licenses may cost if they are not included, licenses for things like NM client (you need this to setup the zone itself, activate IDs, run the PRNM suite, etc).

Not trying to shill for them, but Sunny's is about the only place second to MSI themselves who can sell you a "refurbished" turn key system where they will stage it at their facility just like MSI and then ship to you. Again, you'll still need someone local with the skill set to set it all up.

I say this from experience. Good luck with your project.

k4ktr

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info im looking to do one single site good information looking to build somthing to play with im a commercial lmr tech l do tons with nxdn and dmr but looking to learn about p25

jhooten

licensing is not a problem

Assuming you are taking about licensing frequencies from the FCC you may be correct.

If you are talking about software licensing for the Motorola system control programs, Mother M is very protective of their intellectual property. Ask the guys who built XTS series radios from parts and flashed them with the cloned software how it went for them.

Save your self the legal hassles and buy the refurbed system if you need a Motorola trunking system.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Thanks for the info im looking to do one single site good information looking to build somthing to play with im a commercial lmr tech l do tons with nxdn and dmr but looking to learn about p25

Even a single site requires quite a bit of advanced configuration and setup, and as mentioned, the licensing for various software parts and pieces can only be obtained from MSI itself.

If you want to cut your teeth on P-25, I'd suggest shadowing someone for a few weeks or months who is a lead tech on an Astro 25 network in your area.
You'll learn more from him/her than you can be obtained in any classroom/lab or Google searches.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
The way I remember it, Motorola did not win their case against Nice DeLuca.

Pretty sure it was "settled" out of court, but they did get an injunction against him.

N4KVE

No. Since he paid for all the parts he used to assemble the radios, he was not found guilty of anything, therefore there was no “out of court settlement”. And to this day, both my Nick XTS3000’s still work perfectly.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator

N4KVE

That's pure speculation. How do you know his brother in law isn't a lawyer, & defended him for free? He gave people who could not afford to own an Astro Saber, or XTS3000 the ability to do so. I don't remember hearing that he programmed his radios to operate on private trunking systems. I give Nick a thumbs up.

jhooten

That's pure speculation. How do you know his brother in law isn't a lawyer, & defended him for free? He gave people who could not afford to own an Astro Saber, or XTS3000 the ability to do so. I don't remember hearing that he programmed his radios to operate on private trunking systems. I give Nick a thumbs up.

There is more to defending yourself that just lawyer's fees.

Nick used other people's work, without their permission, to make a profit for himself. Motorola's intellectual property extends to more than programming software and code plugs. Your defending a bootlegger says much about your morals.

N4KVE

I will make my last post on this topic by saying the term "intellectual property" is not part of my vocabulary, if it means I can get a $3000 radio for $1000, as long as the radio itself physically was not stolen. When you can go to E-Bay, & see CPS discs being sold for $25-$35, to be used in a hobby radio, vs a radio used in LE, well I don't have the deep pockets government agencies have. So yes, I'm good with that. And yet, sometimes the people who scream the loudest about this get their CPS for free from work, so they didn't pay for it either. No need to waste my hard earned cash to make software writers wealthy. Again, this is my final post on this subject.

Last edited by a moderator:

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.