• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CP200d digital upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2NEC

So I was messing around with my CP200d (analog version) and wondered if there was a way of "tricking" the radio into thinking it is digital capable?

If not does anyone know how much said upgrade would cost?

Thanks

MSS-Dave

So I was messing around with my CP200d (analog version) and wondered if there was a way of "tricking" the radio into thinking it is digital capable?

If not does anyone know how much said upgrade would cost?

Thanks
HKVN4223 is $75 list price. I found a couple of people online with a simple search selling it for less than $60. You will have to upgrade your firmware to allow the digital entitlement to be put in the radio. I am unaware of trickery as you put it but who knows there's always something available on the internet. I converted several of these radios from analog to digital for customers several months ago they seem to work very well on conventional DMR.

K2NEC

HKVN4223 is $75 list price. I found a couple of people online with a simple search selling it for less than $60. You will have to upgrade your firmware to allow the digital entitlement to be put in the radio. I am unaware of trickery as you put it but who knows there's always something available on the internet. I converted several of these radios from analog to digital for customers several months ago they seem to work very well on conventional DMR.

Thanks for that. I agree that they are nice digital radios. There is an event that I attend to a few days in August that recently switched to digital but only use 1 TG and I used my 7550e and I think it was just too much. I think if I upgraded the CP200d it would work just fine and simplicity is key in those situations. I will see if anyone knows a work around and if not then maybe I can get a new radio for $75 (since I bought the current radio for $80). If not then firmware upgrade it is! Thanks again for the information.

Dave

KR0SIV

I wouldn't bother trying to 'trick' it into digital. You would have to modify the CPS to allow you to use an entitlement you didn't purchase which would be illegal.

It can be done but good luck finding it, moto would be none to happy to see that anywhere online.
However, if you do go the legitimate route.. put the entitlement in there BEFORE you upgrade the firmware.

If you upgrade the firmware first, it'll be stuck as an analog radio and while it will take the entitlement it won't actually switch over without another firmware update. Which you can't do if you updated to the latest.

That issue may have been fixed at this point but I'm not sure, had to send 3 back to the depot for repair after this happened during a switch over of 100 radios or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.