RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum - For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2018, 8:19 PM

Default Switches - XTS3000-II: 3-pos ABC Toggle

Need some assistance with setting up Zone selection using the ABC toggle switch.

The rotary is set for channel selection and the concentric ring for scan mode; both work fine. Inputting Zone Select into any or all of the Three Position Toggle fields results with an invalid fields error pointing back to these same fields for Conventional and Trunking. The Trunking values are set to blank (also tried unprogrammed) for the Three Position Toggle fields.

The Zone Channel Assignment is:
Z1: Tac1
Z2: Tac2, Tac22
Z3: Tac3, Tac31, Tac32, Tac33
Z4: Tac4
Z5: Tac5

The Zone selection works fine on the soft buttons, but Id like to use the ABC switch to pick Zones 1-3.

Is this possible?
Sponsored links
Old 09-17-2018, 8:55 PM

It's been a while since I programmed a 3K...have you tried removing the Zone Selection from the soft buttons, then adding it to the ABC switch?
Old 09-17-2018, 9:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

if you have more than 3 zones the a-b-c switch isnt going to work.
Old 09-17-2018, 9:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmud View Post

[DELETED]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2018, 9:46 PM

Ive tried the experiment of removing Zones 4 and 5, and their reference in the scan list, and now with only 3 zones; the same invalid errors come up pointing to the ABC assignment fields. So it appears that theres more behind this than the number of zones being equal or less than the 3 toggle positions.

Was worth a shot. Anything else that might unlock this assignment mystery?
Sponsored links
Old 09-17-2018, 9:54 PM

Experiment 2: same as above experiment plus removing Zone from soft button menu.
Same invalid result.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:36 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmud View Post
Nope. Iíve programmed radios with 16 zones, where the switch chose the first three.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:09 AM

If you sent any of the 3-position toggle switch positions to Zone Select, you need to set them ALL to Zone Select, for both Conventional and Trunking (even if you're not using trunking).

And, since you indicate you have a model II (which has a limited keypad), you'll be able to use the keypad to select zones higher than 3, but if you move the toggle switch it'll dump you into whatever zone (A=1, B=2, C=3) you just selected. In other words, if you're in a zone higher than 3 and you bump it accidentally, you'd need to re-navigate to the higher zone using the keypad.
Old 09-18-2018, 1:25 AM

Thumbs up

And...
Indeed setting all Conventional and Trunking fields to Zone Select results in a clean save. I had tried the 3 Conventional before, but being i didnt use Trunking, i had left those as Unprogrammed.

Thank you very much. Everyone.
Old 09-18-2018, 1:34 AM

Just tested it, and it works exactly as suggested, awesome. The ABC switch selects Z1-Z3.

So the ABC switch will only effect the first 3 zones (regardless their names), yes?

No way to have it pick Z2, Z3, Z4?

I guess the workaround would be to populate Z1-Z3 with the Channels of Z2-Z4
Old 09-18-2018, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda-ST1300PA View Post
So the ABC switch will only effect the first 3 zones (regardless their names), yes?

No way to have it pick Z2, Z3, Z4?

I guess the workaround would be to populate Z1-Z3 with the Channels of Z2-Z4
Yep, yep and yep.
Old 09-18-2018, 7:10 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You cant have zone in two places..Its ABC or on the soft keys but not both
Old 09-18-2018, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFPM571 View Post
I am reasonably sure that you are mistaken. I have programmed countless XTS3000 with both toggle and soft key for zone selection. They work as described below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akardam View Post
...you'll be able to use the keypad to select zones higher than 3, but if you move the toggle switch it'll dump you into whatever zone (A=1, B=2, C=3) you just selected. In other words, if you're in a zone higher than 3 and you bump it accidentally, you'd need to re-navigate to the higher zone using the keypad.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:50 AM

It turns out that it works exactly as Akardam described. The ABC and soft buttons work together for Zone assignments. This Allows more than 3 zones to be used with only the first three listed (regardless their name) accessible via the ABC toggle switch. Effectively making them hardware priority Zones, from a quick access perspective.

And that's what we (motorcyle traffic officers) need b cause we cant always futz with buttons and displays on the bikes or off. Basically the toggle will be used as thus:
A: ERC (base)
B. Ride channels
C. Aux channels (some LAPD, some shared organization Ride channels, some lesser used channels)

And theres other zones/channels for city, county, Fire, Emergency, weather, radio. So its good we can access those with soft buttons when needed (rarely when riding and reaching to ones belt)
Old 09-18-2018, 11:09 AM

Then...

Regardless the Zone accessibility via the ABC switch and soft buttons/menus, the Scan list is not limited by the Zone button assignments. Which makes any Zone/channels available for monitoring. I use the concentric ring switch as the Scan toggle. I have to go back and set priority values.

These Moto XTS3K-II UHF radios play well with our Kenwood 8180 bike mounted and 2180/3180 portables. The programming software for the Motos is more complex than the Kenwoods, but theres more flexibly and depth with the Motos. The drag and drop mechanism between two CPS windows was a huge time saver in reimagining a radio.
Old 09-18-2018, 6:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I guess our fleet of 1000 radios must be hack jobs then because we've been doing just this since 2003.
Old 09-18-2018, 8:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResQguy View Post
I guess our fleet of 1000 radios must be hack jobs then because we've been doing just this since 2003.
I guess so then..
Old 09-19-2018, 9:33 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Ill second the Zone toggle ABC as well as having them programmed in the menu feature for soft keys.
Its how i am amble to get to my 10 other zones when needed. Soft key zone up zone down.
Old 09-19-2018, 2:43 PM

Again, thank you people.

Youve helped my team to be more effective
Old 09-19-2018, 6:03 PM

Quote:
I guess so then..
That was your (missed) opportunity to write "I was wrong, thanks for correcting my error".