• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mdc1200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

denseglow

I had a quick question... my police department uses Motorola EX600XLS's for their portables and the CDM1550LS+ for mobiles. All the radios use MDC1200, however I was listening to an acutal officers radio, and the MDC sounds differant than it does on my scanner. The MDC isn't as long, it almost sounds like a milisecond bleep rather than the normal whole second of the data. What is this for, and is it possible to get my scanner to do it? Thanks!

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Probably listen to the input. The repeater is probably muting most of the MDC so that the other end-users in the agency do not have to listen to the MDC signal.

Josh

scanners do not support the MDC-1200 signalling format. When enabled on the receive frequency, muting of the 1200 and 1800Hz MDC1200 ID when transmitted by another radio.

-Josh

grem467

We use MDC PTTID and paging on our hammy repeaters, the number one question from non moto users is "how do you stand listening to that data burst"

simple: We dont hear it.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
They are using DOS to mute the MDC burst. The MDC burst is still there, it's just being muted so the Motorola radio user doesn't have to hear it. All of my radios are set up this way because I can't stand to hear that awful MDC sound.

I wish scanner manufacturers would start putting DOS into their designs.

See this post.

K

KC0UWS

Longmont PD has a MDC1200 burst and love hearing that thing! No seriuosly, I do. When I once upon a time ago was in contact with the PD they had there radios on (they have HT1000's and Motorola Spectra's) they just had the beep.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
I like hearing it on my moto stuff. I have it programmed so I can hear it. =) Plus the PTTID is cool too, you can know exactly who it is, and not have to guess.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Like I said, the MDC still works, you just don't hear it. I can see the ID of whoever is talking on my display, but all I hear is a tiny beep.

denseglow

Another police department close to me uses it at the begining of the TX. They can't even hear the beep, it seems that if it is at the end though, you still hear a tiny beep. I think it's pointless to have the MDC at the end of it... you don't know who's talking untill they release the PTT. On the digital radios they have a beep telling them when they can intiate voice traffic... they do on analog also but only if you have the MDC set for pre only. Is there any MDC in digital? I never heard a bleep in digital before...

K

KC0UWS

denseglow said:
Another police department close to me uses it at the begining of the TX. QUOTE]

They have that at another police department close to me as well.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
The Pre PTTID is so that you can see what unit is calling radio, etc.

The Post PTTID is usually used for logging.

There is no MDC on digital as they use what is called a soft ID.

Josh

Actually in digital, signaling is imbedded in the data stream.

Soft ID is an option that can be ordered that will transmit a programmable ID over the air to be decoded on the receiving radio's display, up to 8 characters I think. I never see it used though.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Josh is correct. I use Soft ID on my radios. It's pretty cool and yes, 8 is the limit.

Just incase any wants to know, Soft ID does not make an audible sound.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Scott do you use the soft ID for your ham stuff? And is that a legal way of IDing? I just wonder how hams ID in digital if they ID both in digital and analog or no?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
You know that's a very good question. I do not have my call sign as my Soft ID, but now I think I may set it up that way. I would have to change channels to ID in analog, so I just ID in digital.

I wonder if the other thread that was talking about a 2 meter TRS thought about using Soft ID to send out the call of the system...

grem467

thats exactly how all of our hams set up their astro radios. If dstars can advertise it as a way to ID, then why not on P25?

kwrxxx

As long as the transmission is digital you can use the digital stream to insert your callsign and not need to announce it with voice or CW.

Status
Not open for further replies.