• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

/\/\ Gp68

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Good radios, yes. I have one of mine for sale in VHF on eBay right now..

But NO, they will not go out of band. 470.0000 is as high as it's ever going to get.

-Josh

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"Good" is relative.

Good compared to a ham radio? Maybe/probably

Good compaired to some other commerical radio? Maybe/Maybe not

FCC Type-accepted? We won't go there. Some might be, most won't be. Do I care? Not really.........

Josh

Good in that they are fairly decent, long battery life, lots of accessories available, easy to program, no computer required, makes a decent amateur rig, and also has a sensitive receiver.

Better than the GP2000 which is the replacement for the GP68. FCC ID doesn't matter on an amateur rig, commercial use on the other hand....

But there's my explanation. Not everyone can afford an HT1550XLS w/FPP, JT1000, or XTS5K w/FPP options, so the GP68 is a cost-effective solution for an amateur operator, which I believe landon is.

landonjensen

No im not a amatuer radio operator, haha, studying for ham though ! I wish i could afford a JT1000.

Grog

Banned
Josh said:
Good in that they are fairly decent, long battery life, lots of accessories available, easy to program, no computer required, makes a decent amateur rig, and also has a sensitive receiver.

Better than the GP2000 which is the replacement for the GP68. FCC ID doesn't matter on an amateur rig, commercial use on the other hand....

But there's my explanation. Not everyone can afford an HT1550XLS w/FPP, JT1000, or XTS5K w/FPP options, so the GP68 is a cost-effective solution for an amateur operator, which I believe landon is.

JT1000s are much cheaper at times, they are surely not worth $400-600 like they used to :wink:

All radios sold in the US have to by FCC type accepted. That is often confused with hams who homebrew equipment, we can, but a "store bought" radio can not be offered for sale inside the US without being type-accepted. A lot of the non type-accepted GP68s were exported, then imported as a half-a$$ed way to make some money buy some rather large exporters. That's why you could see new GP68s several years ago at lots of hamfests, but you don't see a lot of them anymore.

Makes me wish I picked up an AP50 in the late 90s :D

Grog

Banned
landonjensen said:
Josh can you confirm this?

Even better..........

From
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44237

ATF1224 said:
The GP68 is field programmable, but does not have an alpha display (CH 1, CH 2, etc is what you see). They are hard to find in the US and only have 20 channels, but they scan all 20 at once.

From
http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?p=232238&sid=8c742825a287edabbe4b19ca05fcc551
Tom in D.C. said:
I owned two of these radios several years ago, one VHF and one UHF. They worked fine, and they covered all of the ham band and all of the relevant commercial band. The FPP sequence was a pain in the neck but it worked. Both radios had FCC type acceptance stickers and numbers on them and I used the UHF radio regularly at work with my company's itinerant license on four channels.

However, neither radio had an alpha display, and to my way of thinking this is a HUGE disadvantage, not so much on the ham band where the channel steps are pretty well defined, but on the commercial channels. Of course each radio is only twentychannels, and maybe one can remember users by the frequency, and maybe another person can't, but who wants to be bothered with having to remember what 154.160 is when a glance at the display showing something like "XXFDDISP" tells you what you need to know without even thinking about it?

This page shows some features...
http://www.ameradio.com/product/427/description.html

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Josh said:
Good radios, yes. I have one of mine for sale in VHF on eBay right now..

But NO, they will not go out of band. 470.0000 is as high as it's ever going to get.

-Josh

Good luck with that. I tried to sell a GP68 on eBay and Motorola themselves stepped in and had my auction canceled. Since it's an export only radio, they will not allow domestic eBay sales. There is a program on eBay that allows manufacturers of prohibited goods to control auction sales. The GP68 is indeed on the prohibited item list.

Read this:

http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=mot_software

If it sells, it's merely because Motorola's people missed it. I promise I won't tell.

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
JT1000's BAH! XTS5000 FPP is hella cool, HT1550 FPP w/ programming battery isn't bad either.

GP68's DO NOT have alpha tags, just like the JT1000 in that the channels read, CH 1, CH 2 etc. Landon, if your looking for 470+ mhz look for S-split radios, or 450-512mhz radios.

[EDIT]Err, I just had thought my Model II MTS2000 programs up-to 472mhz in the latest CPS.[/EDIT]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.