RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2008, 2:05 PM

Default Motorola CPS Programming Software Question

How much does it cost if I purchase it through Motorola?

Does it run with Vista?
Sponsored links
Old 03-09-2008, 2:46 PM
Colorado DB Administrator
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

I have not seen any CPS that supports Vista as of yet.

If you sign up for a Motorola Online account at:

http://businessonline.motorola.com

You can agree to the software licensing agreement and see what the cost of purchasing software is. For enterprise (e.g. government, federal, large business) accounts, it is typically about $300 with three years of updates included.
Old 03-09-2008, 2:48 PM

Default It Depends

The cost depends greatly on which CPS programs you are needing. I don't believe any are VISTA capable currently. Everything we have CPS on is running Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

Remember for older radios you are looking at RSS packages and a much slower, older computer is necessary, but without knowing what radios you are needing to program, we really can not help further.
Old 03-09-2008, 6:10 PM

jeeze... i should have never upgraded!!

im looking to program my HT1250 and I dont want to keep bothering people to do the programing.
Old 03-09-2008, 7:13 PM
K1PGV, ScannerCast author
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

From a quick check on MOL, it LOOKS like you'd want part number HVN9025U which is "CPS R06.09.06 HT/CDM/EX" -- Obviously verify that before you try to order it, OK?

The pricing for end-users is currently $317.00

No version of CPS that I'm aware of runs on Vista. For the Astro25 CPS (the last version I installed), the software pops a dialog during installation that says installing CPS on Vista is not supported as it will expose Vista software errors. They even stuff a warning sheet into the box with the CD that says this!

de Peter K1PGV
Sponsored links
Old 03-10-2008, 1:13 AM

The things people do, just so they can carry a Motorola radio. *eye roll*
Old 03-10-2008, 1:28 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz0468
The things people do, just so they can carry a Motorola radio. *eye roll*

The things people do, just so they can carry a quality piece of equipment that many volunteers use to help others *eye roll*
Old 03-10-2008, 11:40 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Mot, Kenwood, etc all make em in Malasia, phillipines, etc so just go with the best cust service. Mot sucks in that regard unless you have millions to spend.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:52 AM

That is a good point, customer service support is lacking to end users unless they purchase multi-million dollar contracts. Anyway, getting an MOL is not that difficult. One does not need to be a company or goverment, you can get one as an indivudual. Their is no CPS one does all. CPS is specific to certain radio lines.
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2008, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog
The things people do, just so they can carry a quality piece of equipment that many volunteers use to help others *eye roll*
So why is it that when I use my Moto on the ham band, someone always notices(read;"looks down nose")?
Old 03-13-2008, 6:52 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by whls3
So why is it that when I use my Moto on the ham band, someone always notices(read;"looks down nose")?
It's kind of a reverse-snobbery thing. If you use your Moto on the ham bands, SOME goofy hams think you're trying to flaunt your money and act superior... so, they do what those types of hams do, which is treat you with scorn and make disparaging remarks.

Nicest comment I've gotten about my XTS-3K is "What are you doing using THAT brick"?

Doesn't matter that it does P25 exceptionally well and no ham transceiver does P25 at all, even though there's a ton of public safety P25 activity in my area. No, I must have my Moto radio because I'm insecure, or something.

The heck with them... I know why I have it. I like the Moto radios. In fact, I have several.

de Peter K1PGV
(Proud owner of 5 Motorola radios, and 3 ham transceivers)
Old 03-13-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I find it quite amusing when someone new to the hobby is infatuated with the Motorola brand, and goes to great lengths just to get one, in spite of possibly better choices. Now, I like my Motorolas, but after 33 years as a ham, and 32 very odd years in the business, I can get the RSS to do what I want, and I can persuade the radio to operate out of band. For the technically inclined, it's a fun way to get a helluva radio. And for the volunteer types like Grog mentioned, if it really MUST be public safety grade equipment, the expense and trouble can be worth it.

For the newbie scanner nut that wants one to carry to Walmart because they look cool, knock yourself out. I'll be over here snickering to myself while you brick your radio.

Flame away!

Last edited by zz0468; 03-13-2008 at 10:53 PM..
Old 03-13-2008, 11:13 PM

Cool Mo vs whoever

There are just as nice if not better quality radios out there such as Kenwood, Icom, Standard, Yaesu radios and many more....And I'm sure there are a few Hams out there that love Motorola....Pick your Poison so to speak......And yes with P-25 and Motorola
with the right combination of unauthorized radio+administrator=bricked..LMMFAO.

But there are certain amount of people who like to be cool....I put them in the same class of people who buy and drive ex police crown vics with a spotlight around town, Just one shade away from a Whacker....LOL

Hams, Public Safety, Military, Rescue teams...yea they have a legitimate reason for Motorolas... but if you like listening.......Save your money and buy a scanner...
most Motorola Hand Helds won't scan more than 16 channels per zone at a time,
The CPS for newer models is expensive + the programming cables + batteries.. so instead
of spending $500.00 for a Uniden 996 or GRE 600 you end up spending $1000.00 or more to look cool, sure the audio sounds better but if you have more money than sense
enjoy your Brick.....
Old 03-13-2008, 11:39 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
For the technically inclined, it's a fun way to get a helluva radio.
I couldn't agree more.

Quote:
For the newbie scanner nut that wants one to carry to Walmart because they look cool, knock yourself out. I'll be over here snickering to myself while you brick your radio.
I also couldn't agree more.

But why roll your eyes and assume the OP is the latter, and not the former like you? You don't need to have 33 years experience to learn to use CPS. Heck, we all had to start somewhere. It's not like CPS is *that* difficult to learn, or every Moto radio is *that* expensive.

I think we should help folks understand when a Moto radio is likely to be appropriate and inappropriate. Help inform and guide new folks. Try to keep them out of trouble and help them advance their hobby goals. Not roll our eyes at them.

Before discovering Moto radios, I put up with years of using scanners that had bad selectivity, poor sensitivity, and crappy P25 decoding. I sure wish somebody had told ME that if I bought a banged-up Astro Saber from a reputable seller, I'd solve these problems, have a radio I can use on the local 2M repeaters, AND add an entirely new aspect to my hobby.

de Peter K1PGV
Old 03-14-2008, 1:14 PM

Better Quality

Better Audio

Longer battery life

Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2008, 3:34 AM

And no flimsy plastic cover to take off every day and remove the batteries and charge them in a separate charger. Nice drop in charger for me.

Chet
KF6WAN
Old 03-15-2008, 6:45 AM
KE4FHH
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro25
Gotta love that switch!
Old 03-15-2008, 10:21 AM

In terms of Vista...

For editing codeplugs and such I have used XTS3000/Astro Saber and Professional Series CPS on a Vista Machine. Astro 25 CPS will install but not run. I have not tried to read or write anything.
Old 03-15-2008, 4:41 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

Quote:

Because a lot of hams are know it alls, you saw that from the x-band repeater thread

I know the people I talk to are glad I'm using a saber instead of a ham-grade HT, because they can hear me clearly on a quality radio.
Old 03-15-2008, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOROLANUT
There are just as nice if not better quality radios out there such as Kenwood, Icom, Standard, Yaesu radios and many more....And I'm sure there are a few Hams out there that love Motorola....Pick your Poison so to speak......And yes with P-25 and Motorola
with the right combination of unauthorized radio+administrator=bricked..LMMFAO.

But there are certain amount of people who like to be cool....I put them in the same class of people who buy and drive ex police crown vics with a spotlight around town, Just one shade away from a Whacker....LOL

Hams, Public Safety, Military, Rescue teams...yea they have a legitimate reason for Motorolas... but if you like listening.......Save your money and buy a scanner...
most Motorola Hand Helds won't scan more than 16 channels per zone at a time,
The CPS for newer models is expensive + the programming cables + batteries.. so instead
of spending $500.00 for a Uniden 996 or GRE 600 you end up spending $1000.00 or more to look cool, sure the audio sounds better but if you have more money than sense
enjoy your Brick.....
Why do people keep talking about bricking their motorolas? I've pulled the programming cable from a XTS5000 half way through programming a codeplug - radio failed, but re-writing the c/p brings it back to life. I've pulled the programming cable from a CDM1250 during a FIRMWARE flash!! Still no brick, just put it back into boot mode, and re-write the firmware - better than new.

While I type this, I'm flashing a XTS5K with new firmware. Pulled the programmign cable off maybe 1/3 through the process... Hrmmm lets see what happens.......

Can't say why people are SO paranoid about "bricking" a Motorola. It's NOT easy to brick these Motorolas, you have to work real hard to actually brick a radio. Maybe I need to start playing with the old skool Mactrax stuff to brick my first Motorola.

Ok, the XTS5K is reflashed and working, so it didn't get "bricked" either.

How in the world is everyone bricking their Motorolas?? I try on purpose to brick a Motorola, and can't.