Project 25 upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I work for the Federal Government the technicians who work on all electronics including radios are talking about the new Project 25 upgrade. The little information they let out is the Government wants a country wide system that is completely compatible from province to province? Seems like a pipe dream to me/ Or a massive amount of money to set up such a system?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The amount of federal radio users would probably not be enough to justify building out a nationwide system.

The provinces would never buy into it either.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
I thought I read somewhere that the RCMP have a Canada wide mandate to transition to secure radio systems within the next 5 years. If that were to happen, isn't it possible they could have multi-province interoperability?

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Possibly but everybody would have to move to UHF unless Ontario wants to abandon the UHF system they've been rolling out the past few years.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
It's much more likely that the myriad of systems across the country would be interconnected, rather than eliminating all the systems in favor of building one large one.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I thought I read somewhere that the RCMP have a Canada wide mandate to transition to secure radio systems within the next 5 years.

That seems to be the direction things are going.

RCMP in BC is P25 conventional, full time AES-256 encryption, except where they use a wide area trunk system.

Alberta is going 700MHz trunked W/ VHF overlay, although not finished yet, it is very likely RCMP will be AES-256 full time encryption.

Saskatchewan is VHF P25, RCMP is AES-256 full time encryption.

Manitoba is still 800MHz Motorola type 2, and I believe they are transitioning, or have gone encrypted full time.

Ontario is UHF P25 with AES-256 full time.

Nova Scotia is transitioning to 700MHz P25, likely the RCMP will be full time encrypted.

PEI RCMP will likely be full time encryption once the system is built and accepted.

Not sure about NWT or Nunavut. Yukon went P25 years ago, but I do not know if they encrypted or not. Most likely they have.

If that were to happen, isn't it possible they could have multi-province interoperability?

Sure, if they have multi band radios... Considering that the RCMP currently use VHF, UHF, 7/800MHz. The bigger problem is that they are using P25 conventional, P25 trunked, EDACS, and Motorola type 2. At this point they would require a radio that does not exist...

QUOTE=Jay911;2361270]It's much more likely that the myriad of systems across the country would be interconnected, rather than eliminating all the systems in favor of building one large one.[/QUOTE]

The big issue would be RID and TGID. Each division seems to do their own thing as far as comms go... That would have to be centralized, and have one clearinghouse for RID and TGID a assignments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
I'm sure they've got a mandate to go encrypted but I doubt they've got any mandate to link the systems together.

Status
Not open for further replies.