Goodbye to Spectrum Direct - Hello Broken Spectrum Management System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Thanks. I'll add the info as soon as IC's Spectrum Direct comes back online. Been down for a few days now.

There's an announcement if you go "up" one page from the normal SD bookmarks that says SD has been officially decommissioned. They want us to use the Spectrum Management System now, but.... Spectrum Management System is almost completely offline/broken. The geographic and freq range sections are down, and the other ones (single freq and callsign/name) throw HTTP 503 errors when you try to use them. Outstanding, IC...

Jay911

Feed Provider
There's an announcement if you go "up" one page from the normal SD bookmarks that says SD has been officially decommissioned. They want us to use the Spectrum Management System now, but... Spectrum Management System is almost completely offline/broken. The geographic and freq range sections are down, and the other ones (single freq and callsign/name) throw HTTP 503 errors when you try to use them. Outstanding, IC...

Pointless link here since SMS is completely down "for maintenance": http://sms-sgs.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/sms-sgs-prod.nsf/eng/home

Data search page, if it ever starts functioning: http://sms-sgs.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/sms-sgs-prod.nsf/eng/h_00010.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay911

Feed Provider
The one link which does work, "Site Data", downloads a ~6mb zip which expands to a ~75mb CSV which is about 279,000 records for frequencies between 700 MHz and 39 GHz. The stuff below 1 GHz is all mobile/cellular so don't expect to find trunk sites etc. About the only benefit I can see is that you may be able to figure out the new data format by looking at the rows delivered in this data dump.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
They fixed the HAM database when I called because of an issue with my Advanced Licence.

I find that you get farther by being adorable and flirty on the phone than posting cranky things on a message board...

I used to get a new smartphone from TELUS every few months because some how it was covered in blood in my pocket when I was on a big trauma, or got crushed by the jaws of life on a MVC call.... My fav free phone was from telling them a partial truth... I was a flight paramedic and I did have assist with a birth on board, but it was my work iDEN phone that got covered with fluid and afterbirth calling the Critical Care Coordination line. I may have said it was my BlackBerry and boom 2 new phones!

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I tried it yesterday and the site was working but wasn't finding much. Over half the pages returned garbage or mangled menus.

You would think they would have it fully working or at least most of the bugs worked out before decommissioning the old system.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
There's an announcement if you go "up" one page from the normal SD bookmarks that says SD has been officially decommissioned. They want us to use the Spectrum Management System now, but.... Spectrum Management System is almost completely offline/broken. The geographic and freq range sections are down, and the other ones (single freq and callsign/name) throw HTTP 503 errors when you try to use them. Outstanding, IC...

Thanks for the info Jay. Too bad they decided to move things. I liked it how it was. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
So Industry Canada called back, the term "we don't know why it's not working" may have been used, alone with "don't hold your breath on it working any time soon.

Instead they suggested calling the regional offices and asking questions directly to them. They way the gentleman made it sound was the more people who call the regional offices the more pissed off they will get, the more pressure to fix the website

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
Response from Industry Canada:

Good morning Mr. Burgess:

Further to our telephone conversation on February 25th, 2016, here is the
contact information for the Calgary Spectrum Management Office:

Email: spectrum.calgary@ic.gc.ca

Phone:
1-800-267-9401

24/7 Telemessage
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Mountain time

If you have further questions or need help in navigating the Innovation,
Science and Economic Development Canada site (http://ic.gc.ca), please do
not hesitate to contact us at the coordinates below.

Regards,

Benoit Jolicoeur
Web Services Centre, Communications and Marketing Branch
Innovation, Science and Economic Development / Government of Canada
ic.info-info.ic@canada.ca / Tel: 613-954-5031 / Toll Free:
1-800-328-6189 / TTY: 1-866-694-8389

Subscribe to the Canada Business Network blog which provides information
on government services for entrepreneurs:
<![CDATA[Canada Business Blog]]>
utm_campaign=ic_web_centre

cironside

Industry Canada

Well since 22nd of Feb Industry Canada has moved from http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/sd-sd.nsf/eng/Home and when you try and bring up the new location all it says it is down and this has been since the move does anyone know what happening or is there another to that works ? any help would be appreciated thanks

Schumi1978

Premium Subscriber
I thought IC would have at least had a backout plan in place in the event of a catastrophic failure like the one they're experiencing now.

I can't believe they don't have the ability to rollback to the old system while they work out the bugs on the new system.

sigh...

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
I thought IC would have at least had a backout plan in place in the event of a catastrophic failure like the one they're experiencing now.

I can't believe they don't have the ability to rollback to the old system while they work out the bugs on the new system.

sigh...

From the looks of it they completely deleted Spectrum Direct and moved everything over to spectrum management system without making backups. Now the whole system doesn't work and they have no ETA on restoration. They were too overconfident in switching everything over and now it came back to bite them in the ***.

Status
Not open for further replies.