RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Multi-State Communications Networks

Multi-State Communications Networks - The purpose of this forum is for discussion of trunked or conventional communications networks that span more than one state. They are local government or commercial in nature. For Federal or Military use the appropriate Topic Specific forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2017, 6:39 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

While I appreciate the spirited debate and varied opinions, here is the bottom line per the official RRDB policy which was recently clarified by the lead admin:

"Location unknown" sites are not to be listed unless the location can be confirmed down at least to the county level. They can be added to the wiki page for the system, but not the database, until the location is confirmed by monitoring at least to the county level.
Sponsored links
Old 03-06-2017, 9:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR8000 View Post
While I appreciate the spirited debate and varied opinions, here is the bottom line per the official RRDB policy which was recently clarified by the lead admin:

"Location unknown" sites are not to be listed unless the location can be confirmed down at least to the county level. They can be added to the wiki page for the system, but not the database, until the location is confirmed by monitoring at least to the county level.
Thanks for that. If I may ask, how long has it been official RRDB policy to not list location unknown sites?

Just curious.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2017, 10:29 PM
Database Admin

The honest answer is I don't exactly know. We used to list 'location unknown' sites all the time, as long as we were reasonably sure that they were legitimate, but hadn't been located yet. The Database Administrator Handbook is silent on the issue. When some in this thread took issue with us adding unidentified sites to the OneVoice system, I emailed the lead admin for clarification. His word for word reply was what I quoted in bold above.
Old 03-07-2017, 7:18 AM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave3825 View Post
Thanks for that. If I may ask, how long has it been official RRDB policy to not list location unknown sites?

Just curious.

Thanks
I was asked to remove any sites that I couldn't identify down to, at least, the county level in 4th quarter 2016. So my guess is that it was sometime around there that the decision was made.

I don't recall the reasons, nor do I really want to know them, but I think a big part of the reason may have been complainers who would complain about site changes to "unidentified" sites on various systems turning their area green in the DB. They just couldn't handle it and whined.

Mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Old 03-07-2017, 9:58 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtindor View Post
I was asked to remove any sites that I couldn't identify down to, at least, the county level in 4th quarter 2016. So my guess is that it was sometime around there that the decision was made.

I don't recall the reasons, nor do I really want to know them, but I think a big part of the reason may have been complainers who would complain about site changes to "unidentified" sites on various systems turning their area green in the DB. They just couldn't handle it and whined.

Mike

I had questioned it around the first quarter of 2016 and was told basically the only way it would change would be when someone id'd the sites. Like I mentioned earlier, I did not really mind except for the fact that they all had a large range set. That was definitely affecting the zip code users, users that add channels on range and anyone using gps with a small range set.

As far as the green, for some it is a let down when you log in and see your area is green, only to see the new changes were a multisite/state system that was changed many miles away.
Sponsored links
Old 03-07-2017, 4:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That is going to happen regardless of the inclusion of "unidentified" sites. I'd like to see a genuine, valid, logical reason for excluding sites whose operator and system identification are in fact known. Not some admin's off-the-cuff proclamation. If the manual is silent, then somebody is making up rules. In this case, the made-up rule creates problems for some users without solving any for anyone.
Old 03-07-2017, 5:10 PM
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNF2G View Post
That is going to happen regardless of the inclusion of "unidentified" sites. I'd like to see a genuine, valid, logical reason for excluding sites whose operator and system identification are in fact known. Not some admin's off-the-cuff proclamation. If the manual is silent, then somebody is making up rules. In this case, the made-up rule creates problems for some users without solving any for anyone.
I very specifically noted that it was the LEAD ADMIN who clarified the policy. You know, the person in charge of the RRDB who actually does make the rules.

If you have an issue with this policy, take it up with Lead Database Administrator Tom Swisher (username wa8pyr)
Old 03-07-2017, 9:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

If I could make a minor suggestion? For the much less advanced, average user, it may be useful to put a note on the system's database page noting that there are several "location unknown" site listed in the Wiki. Many of them don't even know there is one.
Hard Truth: Live law feeds incite encryption.
Old 07-15-2017, 4:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Listening in tomorrow between 04:00-17:00 should yield information for the New York Roadrunner's/NYC Triathalon. The rental radios should be using this system again.
Hard Truth: Live law feeds incite encryption.
Sponsored links
Old 07-19-2017, 10:54 AM

i am hearing an unidentified tg of 230010 on this is system. sounds like some sort of cycling event in the sparrowbush area of orange county ny