LPD & Storm Spotter Scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escotch

After moving here from Kansas and not having a scanner for a few years I was curious what system LPD uses and which scanner to get to monitor LPD, Fire & rescue as well as maybe the storm spotters if possible.
Assuming they use trunking but are they digital etc? I used to run a Uniden Trunk Tracker II handheld and wondered if that would still work here in Lincoln since they are only $50 now instead of a $500 digital.
Thanks

SCPD

QRT
As Astrak pointed out, Lincoln is using an EDACs system for most of their communication work. There are some channels on the EDAC pro-voice system though that are not monitorable that are used by law enforcement.

The good news is that you won't need to spend $500 for a digital scanner when an analog will do just nicely. You will need digital capability later this year though if you want to listen to NSP or any of the other state agencies.

Escotch

So it appears I'm out as far as an older model such as the BC245LXT because of EDACS? I can't find any resource that has and info on it being compatible with EDACS. But I understand I can still use an analog scanner, just a newer model like the BC246T OR PRO164, am I correct?

SCPD

QRT
I wanted to add too, that listening to the repeater that storm spotters use can be very interesting. I generally keep it locked out, unless I learn that storm spotters have been activated. I lock out it because it is also the community repeater and can get kind of chatty at times.

Another good freq to program in is NAWAS at 453.65000 in Lancaster county, and Sarpy county at 155.74500, these are dedicated circuits used to issue warnings all over the country to various warning points. From time to time I can pick up a national radio check in test, hearing from remote places as Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico. There is a test every day at 0445.

We're lucky to be able to monitor NAWAS as not all states rebroadcast it as Nebraska does.

Escotch

Accotrding to this web site ::: BC 245XLT EDACS Guide ::: the 245 does do EDACS. Dave N0XBN

Thanks! That makes a big difference.. The newer scanners have great features but if I can just get a $50 scanner (ebay prices) this will suffice for my needs! Still tempting to get a 246t or 346t.

Anyone ever been able to monitor the coach headsets at Husker games? I'd imagine it is digital/encrypted or just hardwired but never know.. Especially visiting teams Might work better at high school games

Astrak

Usually the headset comms used at football games is encrypted comms, I think there was a thread a long time ago about it here on RR.

You guys are lucky to hear NAWAS up there, I used to listen to it a lot during bad weather. It's actually a phone system not a radio system and I don't know of any other states that broadcast it over radio.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks! That makes a big difference.. The newer scanners have great features but if I can just get a $50 scanner (ebay prices) this will suffice for my needs! Still tempting to get a 246t or 346t.

Anyone ever been able to monitor the coach headsets at Husker games? I'd imagine it is digital/encrypted or just hardwired but never know.. Especially visiting teams Might work better at high school games

I believe the headsets are hardwired, and if they are wireless, they'd be pretty low-powered, and I'd imagine you would have to be almost on top of them to receive anything.

Escotch

Yeah I saw the thread about the earlier but there was everything from hardwired, encrypted to unsecured and varied based on location.
Looks like they still use Telex wireless which makes sense, since they are made in Lincoln. I'd assume encrypted somehow but you never know till you try I guess.
See pic: Image : Bo Pelini

Astrak

Yeah I saw the thread about the earlier but there was everything from hardwired, encrypted to unsecured and varied based on location.
Looks like they still use Telex wireless which makes sense, since they are made in Lincoln. I'd assume encrypted somehow but you never know till you try I guess.
See pic: Image : Bo Pelini

Guess you can try to bring a scanner to a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.