Sarpy County Info Channel(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

topnik

I am in the habit of locking out encrypted channels that I run across on the Sarpy County trunked system.

Over the last 2-3 weeks (probably longer than that...I've slept a few times over the past few months) I have heard, various times, units switching to 'INFO' and using the old designator 'Channel 2' and others using 'Channel 3'...today I heard one Bellevue unit switching to 'Info Channel 2...uh...channel 3...uh...2...no...channel 3'...I didn't hear that unit show up on the 'normal' Channel 2 INFO (TG 80). I know it might also be a radio programming thing...but...

Earlier in the year, I thought I had heard several dispatch references to a 'digital' INFO channel. Usually, when Sarpy system users talk about going to a digital channel, they mean 'encrypted'.

Did I maybe lock out a digital channel that is an encrypted Info channel on the Sarpy system?

It's strange. I'm not a big fan of public safety communications encryption. I do understand the need for encryption with ERU/SWAT/NARC/INVESTIGATION operations. I also understand, considering HIPPA issues, the need for encrypted MED channels (I'm surprised more MED isn't encrypted).

I am supremely surprised that INFO type channels are NOT encrypted...I mean, DL numbers, names, addresses, past history, even SSAN information? THAT is the kind of information I would expect to be encrypted, but far too often, it is not.

Just curious if anyone else has any info on a 'Channel 2/Channel 3' INFO thing happening on the Sarpy trunked system.

Mr_Observer

The info channel has moved to position 3 on the selector knob. It used to be position 2 on the selector knob. Habits are sometimes hard to break.

topnik

I thought maybe that was the case...but...

...even today, I've heard both dispatch and officers talking about both info channel 2 and info channel 3 almost like they're seperate channels...even heard them talking about which info channel, as in did you mean info channel 2 or info channel 3.

eh...maybe I'm just hearing things...or misinterpreting things...

Thanks!

wb0qqk

Premium Subscriber
I usually tell the LE East operator that I'll be switching to Information
then select position A3 on either my portable or mobile. There's only
one Information console, one Information talkgroup and one operator
per shift. Information has been called Channel 2 for fifteen years and
yes, habits are hard to break.

topnik

Thanks for the feedback...

So is the move from A2 to A3 a recent thing? I was reading in the Sarpy 800Mhz minutes that there was a push for a digital channel for dispatch to easily switch to...not moving all dispatch to digital, just wanting that option...

If you can't comment on that, I understand...

Thanks again!

SCPD

QRT
They were pushing for dispatch to be encrypted. Laville told the no for interoperability reasons. They were going to program 7 more encrypted channels when they were reprogrammimg the radios for rebanding. Sarpy is looking into their own 700mhz p25 trunking system.

xmo

"...Sarpy is looking into their own 700mhz p25 trunking system."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not.

SCPD

QRT
"...Sarpy is looking into their own 700mhz p25 trunking system."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not.

Can either one of you provide valid proof of this, aside from speculation?

xmo

I never post speculation or opinon unless it's clearly identified as such.

Sarpy isn't "looking into their own 700mhz p25 trunking system". Sarpy already has an 800 MHz system with hundreds of P25 capable 800 radios that operate on both the Sarpy 3600 system and the regional 9600 system.

Actually, Sarpy isn't "looking into" anything. Sarpy has decided exactly where they are going. The Sarpy County Board has already approved a Motorola contract to upgrade Sarpy's 800 system.

This is documented fact that you didn't see in the news because the only thing Sarpy is doing that the media cares about is the new ballpark.

Mr_Observer

I never post speculation or opinon unless it's clearly identified as such.

Sarpy isn't "looking into their own 700mhz p25 trunking system". Sarpy already has an 800 MHz system with hundreds of P25 capable 800 radios that operate on both the Sarpy 3600 system and the regional 9600 system.

Actually, Sarpy isn't "looking into" anything. Sarpy has decided exactly where they are going. The Sarpy County Board has already approved a Motorola contract to upgrade Sarpy's 800 system.

This is documented fact that you didn't see in the news because the only thing Sarpy is doing that the media cares about is the new ballpark.

Yep. This is 100% accurate.

topnik

OK...so...

...I guess I should have asked the following:

since A3 is now INFO (the old A2/Channel 2)
what is on A2 since INFO is on A3?

I appreciate a spirited exchange of information and views...I mentioned the 800MHz meeting stuff because I wondered if maybe that's what was going on A2 in place of INFO. Would make sense to me...but then again...consider the source.

To those who have provided feedback, I thank you. I'm also happy that I can still monitor this system and that there are still things to be learned about it.

Peace!

xmo

You were given incorrect information.

Sarpy's 800 voice system is staying exactly where it is - on 800 - and exactly what it is: Motorola 3600 format mixed-mode, until at least 2016 or later.

The business with A2 & A3 relates to codeplug changes put in place during rebanding.

The issue wouldn't have happened at all if users would refer to the talkgroups correctly by name.

Based on the apparent inability of some Sarpy users to actually look at what the display on their radio says, it seems that Omaha made the right choice when they bought a lot of tier-one radios with no display.

wb0qqk

Premium Subscriber
You were given incorrect information.
The issue wouldn't have happened at all if users would refer to the talkgroups correctly by name.

Based on the apparent inability of some Sarpy users to actually look at what the display on their
radio says, it seems that Omaha made the right choice when they bought a lot of tier-one radios
with no display.

Exactly. I know for a fact that it irritates the communications operators when officers refer to
the channel position on their radios instead of the talkgroup title. The console displays do
not have channel numbers, so if an officer tells the dispatcher to "switch to channel 6" that
would have no bearing on the radio console. If the officer says, "switch to Tac-1," then the
operator knows what talkgroup to switch to.

This became an issue a few months back during a major structure fire that required a mutual aid
response with OFD. The incident commander told the communications operator "patch Omaha
into A12." There was nothing on the operator's console that told the dispatcher what "A12" was
and the incident commander didn't know the title of the talkgroup.

wb0qqk

Premium Subscriber
...I guess I should have asked the following:
since A3 is now INFO (the old A2/Channel 2)
what is on A2 since INFO is on A3?

A2 is LE East- Digital. The portables and mobiles have been programmed,
but not all of the console positions have the ability at this time. I have it
selected in my scan list of talkgroups, but haven't heard any traffic. We've
never been told that it's operational yet, so we're still using Tac1 - Digital
for confidential information.

SCPD

QRT
Exactly. I know for a fact that it irritates the communications operators when officers refer to
the channel position on their radios instead of the talkgroup title. The console displays do
not have channel numbers, so if an officer tells the dispatcher to "switch to channel 6" that
would have no bearing on the radio console. If the officer says, "switch to Tac-1," then the
operator knows what talkgroup to switch to.
That is why we have a channel listing by our consoles so we know the channels numbers and names. We also say the channel number and name when switching unit to another channels.

A2 is LE East- Digital. The portables and mobiles have been programmed,
but not all of the console positions have the ability at this time. I have it
selected in my scan list of talkgroups, but haven't heard any traffic. We've
never been told that it's operational yet, so we're still using Tac1 - Digital
for confidential information.
So will A2 be encrypted like the other digital channels?

Status
Not open for further replies.