new to scanning need help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ts1640

I am new to scanning and just bought a home patrol scanner. I live in the northern part of Platte county about 2 miles from Madison county. I can pick up Platte county sheriff without any problem however I am yet to hear Madison County or any thing from the state patrol. Do I need to purchase the upgrade for this home patrol unit in order to hear the state patrol? I am a little disappointed in what I am receiving considering the price I paid for this scanner. Can someone please offer me some guidance

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
You didn't mention which scanner you are using. Platte Co is analog, so almost any scanner will work. NSP is on a P25 trunked system that requires a compatible scanner and programming is a little more tricky. It is much easier programming with software, and if you post your programming file, we can get a better idea on how you have it programmed.

For NSP, the Humphrey site of the State Radio System will probably be your strongest but is only active if an NSP officer is affiliated with that site. If you can receive the Norfolk site, you might hear more.

Redneck0410

For Madison county, you'll want the Sheriff South VHF channel, picking up the RACOM system from there is a losing battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I am using the home patrol 1 scanner. How do I post my programing file?

With an HP-1, there is really no need unless you are doing some custom programming. The scanner has all the freqs you need from the database. No programming necessary, you just need to tell it where you are.

Install the software on a computer and do a database update. The scanner syncs it's programming from the Radio Reference DB and it changes all the time.

On the scanner:
Menu->Set Your Location->Enter Zip Code
Menu->Set Your Location->Set Range --- Set this for 30 miles. It doesn't mean that you will receive signals from 30 miles away, but it will listen to everything that you *might* be able to receive in a 30 mile area.
Menu->Select Service Types-> Select what you want to listen too. Make sure you have all the Law selected.
Press Listen

After that, you are set.

Last edited:

marksmith

The way to find out is to go into Sentinal, and find what you are looking for in the database after you give it an update.

Right click on it and say to append to favorites list
You will get a chance to name it.

Then go to manage favorites lists and select this favorites list (and I would not select the full database). You will be scanning just what you selected, regardless of zip codes or ranges or anything.

You will quickly learn whether you can hear it or not.

Mark
536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/
396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

ORION_NE

Premium Subscriber
Being only 3 miles from hwy81 I would assume I should have heard the nsp by now.
Not really. It depends on what tower the trooper's radio is logged to; it's not always the closest site. If there isn't a radio logged to the tower you're listening to you won't hear any radio traffic.

Make sure your scanner and sentinel program is up to date with the correct talk groups and frequencies.

You could turn on the Norfolk tower but I don't know how to do that on the home patrol maybe someone else could tell you if you need help doing that.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
TS1640, I think I understand your confusion. Your HomePatrol should be able to pick up the State police as was mentioned above. Understand that what you are listening for is not the individual trooper on the highway nearby but rather the location of the tower that transmits (and receives) the Troopers' transmissions. Very basically, the troopers transmit to the tower on one frequency and the tower broadcasts it out along with their reply. Its not one direct frequency like CB is. Its one in and another out. Now, read the wiki here that talks about "Trunking" and that will add more confusion.

Antennas also impact how well you receive signals as well. The little antenna that comes with the HP is ok for close in listening depending on terrain. You have a great scanner there. You just have to get past the learning curve of what you want to listen to and how to do it. We are all here to help you!

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Additionally, this is a link to elsewhere here that illustrates the NSP system. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6699 The Homepatrol has all this in it. You just need to update every week or two so you get the changes made to the system. Referencing what I said just above Look at the grid labeled "System Frequencies." On the left side, you see the "Site, that is the tower I was referring to above. Then comes the name of the tower which is probably the closest town to the tower, and finally the county that the tower is located in. I am sure there is a map somewhere online that shows the locations of the sites. You can guess as to those within range and those that are not

Again someone else who has the HP1 should be able to clarify but I believe you have to tell the radio what you want to listen to this is done as a menu to allow in what you want to hear. Make sure you have those setting in the menu set for what you want to allow the radio to listen to.

Going back to the grid again, you see other information about the various patrols and other units within the NSP. The codes and such are automatically translated to your display by the HP1 but you might find it interesting to look at it to see all the work the radio is doing for you. Once you get more proficient with the radio, you can create your own special listening files on top of what you just import from the database weekly. I hope this helps you out

Status
Not open for further replies.