Nevada Highway Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangrass

I live in California but often travel through rural Nevada. Has the statewide 800 mhz trunked system replaced the VHF system used by the State Troopers? Any need to scan the older system?

Also, given the fact that there is little radio traffic and great distances on highways 50,6, and 93 my thinking is to not bother setting up the system as trunked, rather just enter the frequencies. Comments?

silverspy

As far as I know, some of the DPS VHF High Band frequencies may still be in place, but all NHP activity has moved over to the 800 MHz system. You could just program in the frequencies, as many sites only have a few freqs, but you will have to put up with those annoying beeps and data noises if the scanner is not set up in trunked mode. It is probably just as well, as the LCN for many of the sites have not yet been established.

TOUGHLIFE

I would also keep close call activated if your radio has it in the rurals. You can never tell what you will suddenly hear.

spanner

Premium Subscriber
As far as I know, some of the DPS VHF High Band frequencies may still be in place, but all NHP activity has moved over to the 800 MHz system. You could just program in the frequencies, as many sites only have a few freqs, but you will have to put up with those annoying beeps and data noises if the scanner is not set up in trunked mode. It is probably just as well, as the LCN for many of the sites have not yet been established.

You just answered my lingering question as to why I hear the tones and such when traveling here in Northern Nv.!

I think next time I do a Reno run, I will program just the freqs without the control channels to see what sites are best....Drives me nuts.....

From just west of Lovelock to Winnemucca, the Lovelock and Winnemucca LCN seems to be correct.....

I also listen to the VHF channels, cause I hear a lot of NHP getting calls from the locals on those....

My $.02.....

Carl

3mary2

Nhp

I have Sunrise Mtn. loaded in my PSR 500 and now all of a sudden I am getting alot of static noise. Two weeks ago, the system really was loud and clear anywhere in the las vegas valley. Is anyone having the same experience or maybe the freq's might have changed and I don't know it. The freq's I am having trouble with are 860.2125, 860.7125, and 860.9625. Any ideas? Many thanks

737mech

Premium Subscriber
A different approach to programming the NV 800 system

You just answered my lingering question as to why I hear the tones and such when traveling here in Northern Nv.!

I think next time I do a Reno run, I will program just the freqs without the control channels to see what sites are best....Drives me nuts.....

From just west of Lovelock to Winnemucca, the Lovelock and Winnemucca LCN seems to be correct.....

I also listen to the VHF channels, cause I hear a lot of NHP getting calls from the locals on those....

My $.02.....

Carl

I loaded my PSR-500 with four of the Sites in Southern NV, each site is a tsys, all the sites are on the same scanlist, all the talkgroups I have are copied to every tsys. This way there is no limit to a multi site statewide system. I can hear the patrol cars better this way.
My $.02

3mary2

Having trouble understanding. I can program say LV, Sloan,Angel peak and Mt.Potosi into the same V-Folder, enter the group Id's to each and the scanner will go from one site to the next? I thought you could only have one site per folder? Guess this is what happens when someone buys a toy and doesn't now how touse it after all most a year!!

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Exactly!

Having trouble understanding. I can program say LV, Sloan,Angel peak and Mt.Potosi into the same V-Folder, enter the group Id's to each and the scanner will go from one site to the next? I thought you could only have one site per folder? Guess this is what happens when someone buys a toy and doesn't now how touse it after all most a year!!

I loaded four sites, each one is a seperate tsys. All of them are assigned to one scanlist. I copied all the LV-1, LV-2, LV-3 etc. talkgroup items into every site.

When monitoring the site will show on line 3 when an active tg is received.
When scanning line 4 scans through the sites.
Try it out it works for me.

SCPD

QRT
That is interesting as I was told you could assign up to 20 scan lists to one TSYS but you could not assign a scan list to more than one TSYS. I just wrote a V File for northern Nevada with all the counties except for Lincoln and Clark. Because I wrote it under the assumption that I could not assign a single scan list to more than one TSYS or trunking system, I had to duplicate a lot of talkgroups. When I first tried to load the program I got a warning message that I had exceeded the memory capacity of of a single V File. I had to do some serious weeding out in the talkgroups. So I didn't' put any Las Vegas talkgroups in the site I chose for White Pine County where I would think some Las Vegas units could occasionally travel and use those talkgroups. I chose one EDACS site per county, the one that I guessed would provide the widest coverage for that county if I was traveling there.

With Motorola systems you can duplicate scan lists and assign multiple scan lists to one site, but you can't assign one scan list to multiple sites in a SmartZone system. But armed with scan lists duplicated for each site, the radio will switch to the site it is receiving best, just like the SmartZone trunking operates. I haven't traveled with the PSR-600 mobile yet to try it out.

By the way, it was Don Starr of Starrsoft Software, who told everyone on the thread for his Win500 software about not being able to assign one scan list to multiple sites, those being EDACS or Motorola. He did indicate, as I said, that you can assign multiple scan lists to one EDACS or Motorola site or system as some call it.

I have programmed my PSR-600 mobile with quite a few of the sites in the Southern California Edison SmartZone system. In the V Files for different portions of southern California I've programmed a TSYS for the most prominent or wide coverage site. I have a scan list for every talk group I know of in the system and another scan list for the talkgroups that are used for the local area my V File covers.

When I write a V File I can't start writing talkgroups for a TSYS that has the same scan list. I can duplicate another scan list and perhaps give it the same scan list number as I did for another TSYS but this creates a duplicate set of objects and reduces the memory of the radio by the number of talkgroups in the duplicated list. I'm not sure this works as the scan list would not be able to distinguish which TSYS to use in the trunking. If it somehow works by pooling all the TSYS system frequencies at once how does it keep track of the LCN? If you program two sites that have duplicate frequencies and the sites are not part of a simulcast group of sites, how does that work?

I'm confused and what you have said contradicts what I've been told about this radio. I need to grab some dinner and read the manual again!

Ronin055

Please Help

Ok, Im trying to program a Scanner for a friend. And I did, a whole bunch of channels.

But the NHP channels have me stumped. On Freq of Nature, it says Decimal and AFS but the channels dont look like anything Ive programed so far. take this for example.

741 05-125 Nevada Highway Patrol - Las Vegas - Tac 1 [North]

What am I not getting here? Can anyone please help me? I mean how do I just manually program this into a Radio Shack police scanner.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Megaman5361

Premium Subscriber
Has NHP changed at all? Trying to program a PRO163 and I hear nothing. Is it EDAC or MO for the system and is there a updated list?

Thanks

BCFlash

There have been some freq. changes. It is a EDACS system. The best thing to do is go to the RR Database section-Nevada-Trunked Systems-Nevada Shared Radio System and find the site(s) that you want to listen to, then program the freqs. in order in your scanner. It generally works best to have EDACS in its own bank and not mixed in with other freqs.

Status
Not open for further replies.