New talkgroups for NHP in Northern Nevada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

com501

After two pursuits here in N. Nevada on I-80 I have noticed some new talkgroups.

The first pursuit was w/b from Elko to Lovelock, using 06-011 and the second was a failure to yield from Winnemucca to mp 80 on 06-004.

Today (sunday the 6th) NHP is dispatching various units on Virginia Peak and Eagle Ridge on 06-004, 06-005, and 06-006.

I caught one unit going in service on 05-142 (RN2) and the dispatcher answered on 06-006. All other traffic has been on the 06 talkgroups and not the regular 05 talkgroups as previously heard. An occasional unit is heard on an 05 group but rarely.

WTF?? Over?

BJ_NORTON

where are you? I am extremely interested in knowing how far along the NSRS is in Northern Nevada, especially in Elko and White Pine counties.

com501

I am in Lyon County but frequently travel to Pershing, and Humboldt Counties. I have some radio nerd types in Elko I can call and ask them for some updates. The high sites have all had Quantar VHf repeaters put in that repeat at least two talk groups back to the NSRS, and all the NHP cars have had their VHF mobiles updated. Some areas still have no 800 coverage yet. The new talk groups is an interesting problem.

BJ_NORTON

I forgot to mention that maybe the different talkgroups are "patches" that the dispatcher is running to link up two different areas. since an Elko TG wouldn't normally be heard on whatever TG winnemucca is using maybe the dispatcher had to pipe the audio out of Elko onto its own TG, and then patch that new TG into the TG Winnemucca is using. I see something similar to that here in Vegas. Sometimes traffic on 05-124 is also heard on a TG in the 08-XXX range, and I think it might just be the dispatcher patching multiple TGs together so he/she only had to listen to a single TG instead of several, and try to remember who is on what channel.

I could be way wrong, but it is just a thought. :D

com501

Could be, but odd that there is no traffic on the Virginia Peak repeater in the normal 05- range. All of the traffic since the first has been in the 06- range except for a few isolated units.

The units appear to be all local (traffic stops in Reno, Carson City) and on I80 east to my area. When one of them comes on the 05- talk group the dispatcher answers on the 06- group. After that, the unit is always heard on the 06 group on several mountaintops. I even locked out the 06 TGs to see if my scanner was missing them. Nope.

I reprogrammed my Jaguar portable tonight to the 06 groups, with the same LID as before, and I can talk to RN there. No explanation from dispatch as to why the different TGs as they only have a 'button' which tells them nothing.

com501

unless all the patching is down at the site, invisible to the operator. My radio doesn't seem to know the difference between the 05s and the 06s. Dispatch says I am coming in on the same 'channel'. I don't have 'regrouping' in my portable, since it has so many agencies in it. Maybe they have done something akin to what you suggest.

More data is needed, as Spock would say.

JoeyC

Every time I get traffic on a 06-0xx talkgroup (and I've heard them for months sporatically) my Unidens cycle as patches with (usually) 05-141 or 05-142, 05-143 and 05-144 and various combinations of these. Sometimes one 05 talkgroup is patched, othertimes 2.

At first I thought these were patches that only specific units listen to. For instance, I confirmed NV Parole and Probation units working a surveillance on 05-014 the other day. When the units were on their "main" channel, I heard them call out on RN1. (Not sure if this opened up one of the 06 TGs). Perhaps these units (while not actually NHP) listen to one of these 06 patches so as not to have the normal NHP traffic on their day-to-day radio channel, but also to have the convienience of a dispatcher (NHP) that they normally wouldn't have?? Perhaps other state agencies are also listening to these patches for the purpose of utilizing the dispatch services of the NHP (when and if necessary) while not actually being a part of the normal highway patrol radio system. Just a thought. Not sure what other state agencies would be out there that would utilize this service, if in fact, this is the case.

BJ_NORTON

I imagine there are lots of groups that would like to have a dispatcher, but simply don't have the traffic to really warant one. I'm thinking about the "boy" units (Ithink these are brand inspectors) or perhaps the Gaming commision. I have a list somewhere around here that lists a whole bunch of users for NSRS in sothern Nevada, but I don't know where it is right now.

as to NHP using 06-XXX instead of 05-XXX

Here in Vegas 06-XXX seems to be just NDOT and radio techs. I think they start like 06-121 or something like that. I have been trying to use T4win to monitor and log new TGs while I am sleeping and at work, but it has a problem displaying TG numbers correctly. When I display them as AFS format ie 05-141 they dont appear right. When I use the Decimal, or Uniden format they are correct. I asked on one of the trunking boards about how to convert from AFS to Dec. I was told to use a formula that converts them to Dec from a list of known AFS fromat. When I started writing them down this way I noticed that some of the TG numbers that appeared sporadic in the AFS system were in numerical order in the Dec system, so this might be why they are showing up as 06 instead of 05

try this:
AA x 16 x 8 + FF x 8 + S

so 05-141 works out like this:

AA-FFS A=Agency F=Fleet S=Subfleet

05 x 16 x 8 = 640 + 14 x 8 = 112 + 1

640 + 112 + 1 = 753 in DEC format

you might play around with some of these TGs and see if they fall in close proximity to each other in the DEC format. That might explain why the Agency number is different.

If this is indeed patching, the radio techs may have set it up for the dispatcher to click button A for just NHP and click button B to add in everything else. Those Dispatchers have too much other important stuff to do than trying to figure out patches all over the place. I think it would be a lot of fun to get in there and play with on of the consoles for an hour or two. I bet it would sure clear up a lot of questions :D

serdeagua

Hi my name is Alex and I live in Incline Village and I have a RS pro 2052 and I have never heard the NHP on this scanner, can anybody tell me the frequencies for this area. Thank you

JoeyC

serdeagua said:
Hi my name is Alex and I live in Incline Village and I have a RS pro 2052 and I have never heard the NHP on this scanner, can anybody tell me the frequencies for this area. Thank you

You want to listen to the Crystal Bay site of the Washoe system. Freqs listed on the RR database.

com501

Today, due to the incident that occurred in Carson City, NHP Reno ran most of the day with a patch on 06-004. It included 05-142 and 05-144.

This was different from the two pursuits that occurred last week, in that the BC780 clearly identified the 06-004 TG as a PATCH, and also displayed the patched channels.

Last week, during the pursuit, this was not the case.

Incidentally, I could not tell from my Jaguar portable that the system was patched unless I switched between the two 05 TGs, and noticed they had identical traffic. The radio display did not indicate anything different.

Junior1970

Does anyone have a conversion for NHP talkgroups for decimal format? I only need the Las Vegas area Talkgroups converted realistically so I'm not going to download Win92 if it's still avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.