Digital coming to Northern Nevada.......from the rumor mill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pro-95

From a reliable source I have been told that hi-band APCO-25 Digital may be coming to North Western Nevada.

Multiple counties and several cities left out of the 800Mhz rush that Washoe County and the State did may be combining efforts to update their systems. However the move to 800Mhz won't be in the works but APCO-25 digital is on the A-list for the potential new system.

As I know more and the info becomes public I will share.

Pro-95

A little update.

They guys from Motorola have been doing some testing and coverage maps for the *possible* multi-county/city digital radio system. Timeline is still way out as the counties haven't yet accepted the feasibility study nor have they allocated funds.

Rumor mill plans....

Collect all existing 15x Mhz freqs to combine and re-utilize into a single digital trunked system to provide service for Carson, Lyon, Storey and Douglas.

If I were to guess for operational status, 2 years *IF* the counties all deceide and agree to coraborate and match funds.

I personally although glad to see some common sense being used in the selection of freqs am a little concerned over the potential for full encryption. Since the system would be more than likely similar to Nye County, we could see the smarter counties all being able to talk together with similar and far ranging systems.

Hmm, do you think Washoe County and the State of Nevada are watching this little project?

SAR923

I hope they get a license this time. :)

I remember reading an article in the Appeal a few months ago when Carson City got MDC's. Sheriff Kenny said all the scanner users, who he considers to be basically criminals, would now have nothing to listen to. Didn't quite work out that way but I imagine he'd be more than happy to go to full-time encryption if he could.

I have been through Nye County three times in the past four months and I have never heard anything on the trunked system, just the conventional channels. Has Nye County actually switched over yet or is it still in the testing stage? Also, is the Nye County system going to be used by Esmeralda County as well? Seems like little Esmeralda would be kind of left out in the cold if they didn't jump on board.

Pro-95

SAR2401 said:
I hope they get a license this time. :)
Well since they are thinking of pooling existing licenses and the State isn't involved, I would hope that a situation like that won't be repeated.
I remember reading an article in the Appeal a few months ago when Carson City got MDC's. Sheriff Kenny said all the scanner users, who he considers to be basically criminals, would now have nothing to listen to. Didn't quite work out that way but I imagine he'd be more than happy to go to full-time encryption if he could.
I'm sure that encryption is a possibility, especially since the HT's I've seen are already for encryption. However the encryption is limited so possibly only TAC channels. (as I'm on my knees and praying to the gods of Moto for limited encryption)

Oddly enough one of the criminals (me) has reprogrammed his scanner and has sold and programmed scanners for the command. :oops:
I have been through Nye County three times in the past four months and I have never heard anything on the trunked system, just the conventional channels. Has Nye County actually switched over yet or is it still in the testing stage? Also, is the Nye County system going to be used by Esmeralda County as well? Seems like little Esmeralda would be kind of left out in the cold if they didn't jump on board.
Last I heard Nye had purchased surplus ASTRO equip and was still attempting to implement. However this is older news. Esmeralda should get on the wagon along with Mineral County, but other than Goldfield, Silver Peak and Yucca Mountain not much is going on there in Esmeralda.

nevadan

LOL-----"Scanner users are criminals "(If Sheriff Kenny did state this)---------------We have the right to monitor our public airwaves as long as it does not place harm to any one-------%99. of criminals do not use scanners in north nevada (besides traffic related calls the bulk are alcohol related etc.)................CHP communications shares minute by minute incident data for the public via computer access...........Also, if an agency has knowledge a scanner is being used/linked to a call they can also use text messaging through mobile pc's and/or their cell phones...CM

nhp9943

This is pure rumor. What is fact is Carson SO and FD are expanding the Mobile Data system by adding AVL to all units with real time mapping. Douglas County will be adding Computers to the Fire Department and SO within the next coming months. Douglas has purchased 6 units for Fire to install in all of their staffed rescues and the new Battalion Chief suburban built by Command Designs in Carson City. Tahoe Douglas will be adding some as part of this also. Douglas has completley upgraded their radios recently to narrow band capabilty as required. There is existing grant money for computers that must be utilized before September and this seems to be the priority for now. What you all need to remember is that what ever happens, all local agencies will have to maintain analog high band units to facilitate comunication with the USFS BLM and for off district responses (Strike Teams). This is why Reno fire has a Macom 800 and a Kenwood in almost all of their units. :roll:

northzone

Premium Subscriber
What you all need to remember is that what ever happens, all local agencies will have to maintain analog high band units to facilitate comunication with the USFS BLM and for off district responses (Strike Teams)

Well, if these 4 counties are talking about putting in a vhf, digital, trunked system they WILL be wideband/narrowband analog capable also, no extra radio needed. It is actually an FCC requirement that the radios be backward compatabile.

Maybe they should join up with the Nye county vhf trunked system, those 5 counties together would have a big chunk of the state covered.

Thanks PRO-95 for the heads up, it will be interesting to see where this goes.

nhp9943

What your not getting is that during an incident you will need to have two radios. This is because you connot have your radio operating on the users trunking system and operate on simplex fire ground at the same time. Doesn't work like that! :(

N6NBD

Here's the straight scoop on Nevada Digital

This link will give you the most recent info straight from the decision makers.
http:\\ncsc.nv.gov

Homeland Security will provide funding for P25 systems to be implemented by 2009. However, one must first apply for the grant. The WCRCS (Washoe County Reginal Communications Systems group) has not as yet done this. The WCRCS is the assemblage of representatives of all of the agencies that make up the Washoe 800mhz EDACS system (the decision makers). This is a separate issue from the 800mhz rebanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.