Homemade antenna tried in NV

Status
Not open for further replies.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I know this thread was discussed in the antenna forum but I think it has value in this forum because I tried it out and I am having great results! I wanted to share this info with fellow Nevadan's.

The thread is
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33753&highlight=balun+wire+antenna

I built it today and my RSSI counts on freescan are up from 200-300 to 600-700!!

Wacky weird and unusual but this simple home made tubular design works way better than my attic farm. I can't wait to get it up higher maybe in the attic maybe on the roof I can't decide just yet. If it works in the attic I'll probably go with that. I have to wait for a few days of testing and will post results. Initially I can report very much improved reception!!

Last edited:

eraweeb

Looks interesting! I would think that it would tend to be very directional. Have you done any experiments in that regard such as turning it different ways while checking the signal strength?

Thanks.

joen7xxx

Looks like an improvement over the whip on the back of the scanner. Do you use a balun between the feedpoint on your radio and the twin lead?

Last edited:

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Here's how I did it

Looks like an improvement over the whip on the back of the scanner. Do you use a balun between the feedpoint on your radio and the twin lead?

I used the balun that came with my scantenna st-2, then I followed the build directions from the forum, no extra baluns just the one at the antenna, any more would not be needed as my scanner is less than 12 feet away and the setup is rx only.

It is working awesome right now!! I feel like I just got a late Christmas Present!!!

Happy all about it!!

Don.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Directional

Looks interesting! I would think that it would tend to be very directional. Have you done any experiments in that regard such as turning it different ways while checking the signal strength?

Thanks.

Directional is unknown at this time as I just put it up and have not turned it yet. Still I'm very happy with the improvements!! I'm waiting to test it on the Nellis freqs and Test site freqs in a few days. I'll let everybody know.

pyeman99

Thanks.
A verticle diople is omni.Should think that would work well.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Off Center Fed Dipole

A verticle diople is omni.Should think that would work well.

I have tried this now for a few days and here are the findings.

VASTLY Improved reception on 400 FM band systems(MEDICS AND EMS)(PRIVATE COMPANIES), 400 Mot II p25 systems(NNSA), Mot 800 (SNACC), Mot 900 (STRIP HOTELS) and 160-170 VHF APCO channels (TSA). Also picks up the new F1 Metro 700 channel very well. Has no problem at all with the NV Shared Edacs or the LTR systems used by some hotels. To best explain the improvement I can simplify by saying the audio is very clear and the signals are higher according to freescan and win500 logging. It is true the tubular design adds bandwidth the wire version is ok but the tubular version is what I went with as seen in the posted picture.

Medium to no real change on weather noaa channels.

Not so great on VHF Airband, or 150-160 NFM (Metro Police), or Military Air 225-400 AM.

I also tried a smaller version with nine inches short leg and 24 inches long leg trying to resonate on 225-400. Same results no real improvement in that band.

Further looking into this I am looking to find the exact lengths required for 225-400 but I haven't found them yet. I relocated it to the attic to keep it from becoming a lightning arrestor and all it great so far.

I tried this antenna with my BCT15 and my PSR500.

Hope it helps anyone willing to try it out.
Please reply with your findings if you try this fun project.

Status
Not open for further replies.