Towers on I-15 near Exit 90 Moapa

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf7yn

Sorry if this has been previously discussed, I did a search and came up empty. I travel thru Nevada regularly from Utah to LA and wondering what the two gigantic towers are off the freeway near exit 90 (Moapa). They look to be at least 600 feet tall, must be low frequency application. Anyone know for sure what they are? Thanks

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Moapa Towers

Sorry if this has been previously discussed, I did a search and came up empty. I travel thru Nevada regularly from Utah to LA and wondering what the two gigantic towers are off the freeway near exit 90 (Moapa). They look to be at least 600 feet tall, must be low frequency application. Anyone know for sure what they are? Thanks

Could you be a little more specific? Are they out in the desert or atop the peak from Moapa? Are there four towers in series? Have they been there for a long time or are they new? How tall would you estimate?

The four tower setup could be similiar to the LORAN station near Searchlight. I know there is a tower near Beaver Dam just before you enter the gorge. That is for Nevada Shared System. Or it could be an FM radio station? Did you get any intermod from it while you were near it?

kf7yn

Only two towers, not four. They look to be quarter mile apart and 600-800 feet high, very thin and straight, not tapered. They are on the right hand side of I-15 if you are going towards Utah and a mile or so from the freeway near the Glendale/Moapa exit. They are not on top of a peak per se but behind the first ridge (can't see the bottom of the towers or transmitter building from I-15). They are not painted red & white, just plain gray. The northernmost tower had four flashing strobes, the other just had one flashing strobe on top.

They are definitely not FM broadcast and look too large to be AM phased array. Gotta be Govt or Military. They might be Loran, seem to be the right size for that low of frequency. Thanks...

Last edited:

ke7xm

Premium Subscriber
Wiki has the towers listed as the 2nd and 3rd highest structures in Nevada. Check out the Moapa Kemp tower and the Moapa Entravision tower. Seem to be FM serving Vegas.

BJ_NORTON

could you share the link to the wiki page you found? I would be interested in reading that article

ke7xm

Premium Subscriber

kf7yn

I looked at the FCC info, both are TV masts over 1400 feet high, much higher than I guessed. I could not see the TV antennas at the top of the tower with the naked eye, next time though in a few weeks I'll have a look with binoculars. Thanks for the info gents.

Status
Not open for further replies.