Las Vegas OpenSky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mweiher

I'm the Radio Systems Administrator for Milwaukee (WI) County. We currently have a Motorola SmartNetII+ analog system and are starting to look at migrating to digital.

I'm trying to do some research. Milwaukee (WI) PD has been trying to implement OpenSky since 2003 with tons of trouble. They've invested $15m so far. I can't seem to find anywhere where OpenSky was fully implemented and installed to everyone's satisfaction.

M-A/COM is saying that Las Vegas has a full implementation and that everyone is happy with it. Is that the case? Whenever I question any M-A/COM users (whether EDACS or some half version of OpenSKY) I get the same story. I'm wondering what the true status is....

TOUGHLIFE

Las Vegas Metro continues to use its VHF analog system for day-to-day operations. No way is the M/A Com system "fully implemented".

Livewire3286

Umm, I didnt even now it was operational at all - let alone barely being tested. Check out PA for some area's but I think every area that is trying it is sueing MA regarding it though.

coolrich55

I am planning my annual trip to vegas for may. Do you think the pd will still be on vhf that point? Also as far as the trunked systems, lvfd and ccfd are they seperate systems or just seperate tags?

SCPD

QRT
I'm the Radio Systems Administrator for Milwaukee (WI) County. We currently have a Motorola SmartNetII+ analog system and are starting to look at migrating to digital.

I'm trying to do some research. Milwaukee (WI) PD has been trying to implement OpenSky since 2003 with tons of trouble. They've invested $15m so far. I can't seem to find anywhere where OpenSky was fully implemented and installed to everyone's satisfaction.

M-A/COM is saying that Las Vegas has a full implementation and that everyone is happy with it. Is that the case? Whenever I question any M-A/COM users (whether EDACS or some half version of OpenSKY) I get the same story. I'm wondering what the true status is....
I am curious who at M-A/com is saying the system has a full implementation and everyone is happy with it, they are lying. Laughlin is the only area in the county that was working fully that I'm aware of

mike619

3mary2

I am planning my annual trip to vegas for may. Do you think the pd will still be on vhf that point? Also as far as the trunked systems, lvfd and ccfd are they seperate systems or just seperate tags?
They are only at the testing stage for Open sky at this point. Metro is still VHF and LVFD and CCFD are on Motorola 800/900 system with different id tags.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I spoke with the MA/COM reps here on vegas today, and Las Vegas PD is switching over to a 700MHz open sky network. The conversion date is imminent.

Additionaly, the new network is already deployed and operational, and they had demo OpenSky radios on the network for folks to demo and work with.

This is bad news for Vegas folks... I also was told that the Clark county SO is moving as well.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
Isnt Clark Co. SO and LVPD the LVMPD that covers the whole county?

Yes. Las Vegas Metro Police Department is a consolidated department, headed by the sheriff. I think there MIGHT be a county or city marshal's office though...don't know what they do.

BCFlash

Yes there is a fairly large Las Vegas Marshals office and various court constables and school district police roaming around in addition to Metro.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
I spoke with the MA/COM reps here on vegas today, and Las Vegas PD is switching over to a 700MHz open sky network. The conversion date is imminent.

Additionaly, the new network is already deployed and operational, and they had demo OpenSky radios on the network for folks to demo and work with.

This is bad news for Vegas folks... I also was told that the Clark county SO is moving as well.

So it's six months later, and no sign of any 700 MHz radios in the LVMPD vehicles or on the officers working at the MGM Grand for the Mayweather/Marquez fight tonight. Anyone have a line on when the change over will actually happen?

Has the M/ACOM sale to Harris effected this system implementation?

- Chris

TOUGHLIFE

Only the LVMPD will be using the Open Sky system when the change happens. There is no LVPD or SO. Back in the mid-70s' both the LVPD and the CCSO merged and became the Las Vegas Metro PD.
Almost every other law enforcement agency in Clark County is on either the SNACC system or the State Run EDACS system called the Nevada Shared Radio System. The VHF system that Metro uses is very much alive in the valley and in the rurals.

eraweeb

Is there any chance that after the changeover, one or more of the old channels will still function as a simulcast channel? Not to simulcast everything of course, but possibly certain channels that will need to be monitored by other agencies not on the Open Sky system?

I know that this has been done in the past to some extent when an agency has changed from a conventional system to a trunked system.

2wayfreq

I hope it doesn't turn into the "Broken Sky" nightmare like NY State and Milwaukee. There is a rumor that San Bernardino County,CA (They border with Clark County) are looking at it too. Until they have good reports from the field, I say..Beware!!.

kd7rto

I hope it doesn't turn into the "Broken Sky" nightmare like NY State and Milwaukee. There is a rumor that San Bernardino County,CA (They border with Clark County) are looking at it too. Until they have good reports from the field, I say..Beware!!.

You want unmonitorable technology to be successfully implimented?

eraweeb

What about the news media who rely on their scanners for news and traffic reporting? Do they get a pass?

There must be someone out there who works for the media. What is your company's plans for this system changeover?

SCPD

QRT
Is there any chance that after the changeover, one or more of the old channels will still function as a simulcast channel? Not to simulcast everything of course, but possibly certain channels that will need to be monitored by other agencies not on the Open Sky system?

I know that this has been done in the past to some extent when an agency has changed from a conventional system to a trunked system.

Last Thursday Harris techs were doing OpenSky / VHF radio channel patch testing on TAC1
When techs finally worked out what ever bug they had and were able patch to an Opensky talkgroup the audio sounded horrible, strong digital wobble.....
I have only seen one OpenSky radio in the hands of a uniformed member. It was a Sam unit working NW
He also had a VHF radio on his hip.

brandon

Database Admin
Were you monitoring the OpenSky patch on an analog frequency? If so that probably explains the horrible audio. The same thing happens when P25 digital is patched into an analog channel... its like fingers down a chalkboard.

San Bernardino County moving to Open Sky would be a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.