Why cant i hear the engine company

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok heres a question i cant figure out for the life of me. I monitor the BLM Carson City Dist, on 169.7750 and 169.0250. I can hear dispatch but i cant hear the engine companies for the life of me. Why cant i?? and help would be great.
Scott Biddle

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Is this a repeater system or is it simplex? If it is simplex, then unless you are fairly close to the engine when it transmits, you may not be able to pick it up. I'd check the specs on the system and see if it indicates a repeater system or a simplex system.

northzone

Premium Subscriber
Scott, 169.775 is the output frequency. I listen to this when I am in the Markleville area and have heard the engines no problem. Remember this district covers a lot of ground. It is possible the dispatch is using a repeater that is in range you can hear, but that the mobile is answering on a repeater that you can not hear. I have seen this happen many times. The dispatch of course can hear them all because they are using a remote base located on McClellan Peak to talk to all the repeaters in the district.

UPDATE: I just checked my federal info and it shows McClellan Peak as a simplex remote base tx/rx on 169.775. What that means is they are not using it to remote into the repeaters but simply as a remote base. That means if an engine has McClellan selected as the mountain top they would not be repeated. The remote base and repeaters are most likely linked back to dispatch by microwave or uhf link channels.

nhp9943

All unts operate on simplex with a remote base on Maccelellen peak. Transmit and Receive are the same for field unts with the addition of PL on transmit only. Minden Dispatch is linked in via Microwave to the site. Unless you are in range of the BLM units you will not here them.

Status
Not open for further replies.