new radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

optiman

Hi
Am looking to get back into scanning again after an eight year absence and since I live in las vegas what would be rcommended as far as radios go? I do have a pro43,a 2035 w/optoboard and 1st gen winradio.Would be interested in public safety and mil air primarily.With all this talk about trunking and digital w/ edacs, I don`t think the radios I have now are going to cut it. Any suggestions would be very helpfull.

Thank you
Paul

TOUGHLIFE

Suggestion

If you live in the greater LV area visit Radio World in Boulder City and pick up a Uniden 246T which is already programmed for public safety freqs. and others for this area and I am not talking about what Uniden puts into it. You can bargain with the owner and this is why we call him "Trader Dave". He also sells the Southern Nevada Scanner Book which is locally produced and a fantastic aid to the hobby. The store is open six days a week and he can be reached at 294-2666. Hope this helps you out. I deal with him often and have purchased about nine scanners from him over the years and many ham radios as well.

Enjoy the hobby and welcome back.

BJ_NORTON

actually you may have all the equipment you need right now, since you have that pro 2035 with the optocom board. It does allow the radio to be computer controlled correct?

If it can be computer controlled you can use program like trunker 4 windows (T4win) to controll the 2053. All you would need to do is install a discriminator tap (very easy) on your PRO 43 and use that to feed control data to the computer. the computer decodes the data, and then tells the 2035 what frequency to go to. this can be done for maybe $5.00 in parts and 10 minutes of your time

BJ

optiman

Hi
That is very interesting and I do have another rs scanner that I can tap into since I don`t want to mod the 43. Thank you for the idea.Should I do it I`ll let you know how it went.
Did I mention that for HF I`ll be useing an old Hallicrafters reciever w/bfo?
Paul

BJ_NORTON

I just started getting into the discriminator tap/computer decoding, so I may be a bit excited about it. I have trunk tracking scanners, so I just log talkgroups, and then look for new ones to identify. It may be a bit impractical, especially if portability is a requirement. The 246T sure seems like the cats meow if you don't need a digital radio.

The Hallicrafters name is a bit old for me. I think they went out of business before I was a speck in my mothers eye :wink: and I couldn't even tell you what a BFO is, but the vintage gear sure looks cool to use!

Gilligan

Database Admin
Radio World in Boulder City

I recently visited Las Vegas for the first time and really wanted to get a 246t while I was out there. I called around and Radio World in Boulder City happened to get a few in while I was there, so I jumped right on the opportunity. I thoroughly enjoyed talking with the owner and am now the proud owner of a 246t. I love my new radio and have to say thanks to this man for being so helpful to me. Also, he has more used two-way equipment and scanners than I've ever seen in my life. If you're looking for a radio, check with him. He is willing to ship. And he also services radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.