RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Nevada Radio Discussion Forum

Nevada Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Nevada.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 11:17 PM

Default Nellis Air Force Base Airshow November 14th & 15th

Nellis is having is usual yearly open house and airshow on November 14th & 15th according to the base website. As in the past their website (Nellis Air Force Base - Home) says the prohibited items include scanners. Wonder if this will be enforced? Another reason not to go on base. It's easier to leave the area and avoid the crowds by watching the aerial demos near the base perimeter. I've seen the static displays many times before.
Sponsored links
Old 11-12-2009, 2:21 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Best vantage point for Aviation Nation 2009 Nellis AFB

Does anyone have a recommendation for a viewing vantage point outside of the base? I'm interested in attending, but don't want to get tied up with the crowds and bus transportation. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2009, 7:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have often watched the activities along the fenceline near the intersection of North Hollywood and Cheyenne near a gate that is normally closed. Numerous people appear there every year and the base security police and Metro leave you alone. It's a good place in which to avoid crowds and have no serious traffic problems when you elect to leave. With a good set of binoculars, a digital camera, a video camera, and half a dozen scanners and you won't miss much. Some of the T-Birds will fly almost directly overhead at this location during their aerial show.
Old 11-12-2009, 8:03 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default RE: Best vantage point for Aviation Nation 2009 Nellis AFB

Thanks for the info AZMONITOR! I'll head down there.
Old 11-12-2009, 8:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

It also helps to have a scanner searching most of the VHF aircraft band to find the frequency that is used by the Air Boss to coordinate aerial activities. It sometimes changes year to year. Listening to the UHF digital trunking system might be of some benefit but the Nellis Security Police is often encrypted. Some interesting conversations involving visitors can be found by scanning the FRS channels which often has a lot of activity during the show. Of course monitoring the LVMPD channel 5 (NE Patrol) is a wise idea for that is the area that you are in outside of the base. The T-BIrds have been known to change show frequencies from time to time. It's nice to avoid the crowds and the traffic.
Sponsored links
Old 11-14-2009, 6:46 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

If I was traveling there I would sit at N Nellis Rd & E Cheyenne. Then some where on Ellsworth Ave the next.(That may be closed), They switch departures on a weekend show. They put on a good show within a 7mi radius
Old 11-16-2009, 9:56 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Thanks again for the show info

I made it to Nellis on Friday for practice and also Sunday for the show. I managed to get some video with my old Hi-8 camcorder and posted them to youtube.com. The quality isn't the greatest, but I think I captured some decent footage none the less. Enjoy!

YouTube - Aviation Nation 2009 Nellis AFB Las Vegas, NV

YouTube - Aviation Nation 2009 Nellis AFB Las Vegas, NV (Sunday)
Old 11-18-2009, 2:48 AM

It was a good show. didn't take the scanner in though. The C-17 demostration was outstanding. I never knew how well that thing manuvered.