can't receive edacs on hp-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AE7K

Just got my HP-1. I'm in zip 89502, followed the instructions, updated the firmware and database, currently have fw 1.02, db ver 09/28/2010.

When it starts scanning, it stops on Nevada>Sierra College (Nevada County Campus)>Sierra College Police Dispatch
Law Dispatch 860.9625 and plays a buzzing sound (attached).

I tell it to avoid this channel, but don't get any fire/police/etc.

I'm new to the scanner game and the best I can figure out is that FCC Callsign: WPIE754 is the entry giving me trouble. The lat/long are 38.79294,-121.21356 yet they show up as 39 24'08.08, 120 35'09.38 in the database and is listed as FM. This location is about 90 miles away on the other side of the Sierra Nevada mountains.

The Nevada Shared Radio System also uses this frequency on it's Red Peak repeater which is a EDACS system.

Is the error in the database causing my problem?

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• 2010-09-30_14-17-40.zip
    75.1 KB · Views: 56

bezking

The sound is an EDACS Control Channel. You are hearing the Control Channel for the Trunked System instead of what it is programmed as.
I am moving this post to the Nevada forum so someone local to that area can chime in on why the DB is that way, I am on the other side of the US so I can't really say much more than that.

Welcome to RR, by the way :)

AE7K

thanks, might it be a California problem also? again, please pardon my noobishness....

Z0_RICK

Make sure you have the correct freqs. I do not know if the database you are using reflects the rebanded sets.

SCPD

QRT
Make sure you have the correct freqs. I do not know if the database you are using reflects the rebanded sets.
This is what I predicted what would happen and why this will be Uniden's biggest failure in history. I looked at this unit on Friday, played with it for a while and found in Vegas, you could monitor Metro VHF channels that will die in the next 90 days or so. Some of the SNACC system odd VHF channels
that was about it, made me want to buy it, NOT!

AE7K

Huh?

Looking over the location data in the HPDB and many sites still have no geographic location. I'm new to all of this, but am starting to figure out that without accurate location data in the HPDB, the scanner won't work properly using the location method in my area. I guess I can try and learn how to look up all of the missing site's geo info and then figure out how to submit it to RRDB and hope that it eventually will flow to an updated HPDB.

Needless to say, I'm disappointed in the experience so far. The NSRS encompasses most of the public safety agencies (fire,police, highway patrol, etc).

Does anyone have any ideas on getting the info updated easily?

AE7K

ok, my bad, i updated the hpdb on my pc, but forgot to send it to the hp-1. things are working better now - thanks!

sigint1

Was: joking
If you are in zip 89502 (Reno) most agencies including NHP are on the Washoe County EDACS system - Use Site 001 Metro Simulcast - I believe the NSRS Database has this system listed but it is not part of the NSRS

AE7K

Thanks for the help, I now realize the title of my post (and the post itself) might be confusing. The hp-1 refers to Uniden's HomePatrol 1 scanner. The problems I was/am still (sort of) having are related to incorrect or missing location data in the RR / Uniden HPDB (HomePatrol Database). I've got my first problem cleared up by working with the California DB Admin about some problems with the location/range of Sierra College Police Dispatch Law Dispatch.

I had originally posted this in the Uniden forum, but it was moved to the Nevada forum.

Here is a link that shows how the HP-1 uses location information in deciding which freq's to monitor:

How it Works: Location, Location, Location

Hopefully there will be better data coming to the RR database about Nevada's systems, specfically the location and range. It will allow noob users (like me!) to just put in our zip code and select what systems they want to monitor.

sigint1

Was: joking
I understood where you were coming from just wanted to point out that Nevada Highway Patrol was on the Washoe system here in the Reno/Carson area and I agree about the accuracy of the database - at one point they even deleted the Washoe County EDACS System in the RRDB saying it was replaced by the NSRS - it took numerous emails from myself and others before it was put back in but even today there are some who believe it to be part of NSRS. I have long since given up trying to get it corrected. I have also had people disagree with me about the Reno Tahoe International Airport talkgroups where I work saying I didn't know what I was talking about even though I use them every day - You wont hear much on NSRS in Reno area except for NDOT and Nevada Power - however keep in mind that the Washoe System was designed from the start to interface with the NSRS so occasionaly you will hear traffic from that system on NSRS.. I am not familiar with the HPDB enough to know if it allows you manualy edit the info in it - if not then I have to agree with the post from brechtd - I too have reservations about this type of scanner working - The FCC database itself is not exactly the model of accuracy much less all the individual people who reside on RRDB and other similar sites who think they know everything about a particular system. About all I do now is try to help out new guys like you to try enjoy the hobby. Below is a link that has a description of the Washoe System - it is a little dated - Ma/Com has been bought out etc and there are more agencies but it gives you an idea about the system.

http://www.bultronic.net/documents/channels/Channels7_2.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.