Nellis AFB Open House

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Once again Nellis is having its yearly open house this Saturday and Sunday. As expected, on its list of prohibited items is the word, "scanners". In the past I have enjoyed watching the show off the base near the intersection of Hollywood and Cheyenne by the fence line and have had no problems with my many radios monitoring the action of the air show. It also makes for an easy exit at the end of the show avoiding all the traffic.

mdickerson17

My favorite place to watch and listen is by Shadow Rock Park, Los Feliz st. & Alto ave. is the nearest cross. Its a great overlook and people dont look at me as weird! My dad is retired air force and I take my scanner along every time we hit the bx and never had any problems.... I wonder why it would be on the restricted list? Its not like you'd hear more....

Hooligan

The web page mentioned "scanners" in the list, but the official sign at the magnetometers at the entry control points did not, and my radio gear wasn't detected by the SFs checking for contraband.

I didn't play scanner-geek too much while there yesterday, but as I was waiting in the shuttle bus line to leave, I found the Thunderbirds diamond guys on 141.075MHz AM mode (so here's another ^%$#* you to the idiot(s) at Uniden who defaulted that spectrum to FM in their "Military Air' search preset). Things got a little exciting for a while as somehow their comm cart started patching thru other audio up on 141.075 while they were performing. #1 wasn't very happy.

ecps92

It's FM out here on the East for the LMR users. Worked well this summer finding many new Frequencies during the summer months of training for the troops to head out for the "War on Terrorism". Yup the T-Birds use it in AM, but much of that band is actually FM ;)

The web page mentioned "scanners" in the list, but the official sign at the magnetometers at the entry control points did not, and my radio gear wasn't detected by the SFs checking for contraband.

I didn't play scanner-geek too much while there yesterday, but as I was waiting in the shuttle bus line to leave, I found the Thunderbirds diamond guys on 141.075MHz AM mode (so here's another ^%$#* you to the idiot(s) at Uniden who defaulted that spectrum to FM in their "Military Air' search preset). Things got a little exciting for a while as somehow their comm cart started patching thru other audio up on 141.075 while they were performing. #1 wasn't very happy.

Hooligan

It's FM out here on the East for the LMR users. Worked well this summer finding many new Frequencies during the summer months of training for the troops to head out for the "War on Terrorism". Yup the T-Birds use it in AM, but much of that band is actually FM ;)

Well yeah, FM for LMR users, but AM for the 'Military Aviation' users, so um, what's your point?

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I hardly ever hear any FM military comms in that range. And Ft Campbell is nearby. The only comms i have ever heard in the 138-144 and 148-150.xxxx range have been aircraft in am mode. I guess you have to be near the source to be able to hear the FM comms in that range huh?

CORN

Premium Subscriber
It doesn't matter anyway i guess. I live in Nashville so there aren't any damn military comms near here anyways. Ya'll carry on.

ecps92

Not really, just like VHF Public Safety, it all depends on your Antenna as well as theirs. I can routinely hear VHF LMR [FM] for approx 50-75 miles for a Base or Repeater site.

It all depends on where and what is around. Sometimes it takes a long time to find them, as the traffic could be minimal

I hardly ever hear any FM military comms in that range. And Ft Campbell is nearby. The only comms i have ever heard in the 138-144 and 148-150.xxxx range have been aircraft in am mode. I guess you have to be near the source to be able to hear the FM comms in that range huh?

Hooligan

That the most common users in that range are FM/NFM vs the few AM users in that portion of the band. :roll:

You know not of what you speak! There are thousands of AM users in the band -- military aircraft. Try searching 138-144 & 148-150.8Mhz in AM, 25kHz steps. It's used frequently for interplane comms, and as I mentioned, the Thunderbirds. It was a primary US military aviation band (using AM...) well before the 225-400MHz military band was established. Even you should know that most of the federal gov't FM LMR users in that spectrum have been in the process of migrating up to 406-420MHz & now more recently 380-420MHz systems.

ecps92

Your milage and my milage vary. ;)

I personally find more FM/NFM in those bands than AM now-a-days.
both at 12.5 and 25 Khz steps

Most of the VHF Users in that band, have only moved to NFM [and P25]not to the Govt' A or 380-400 LMR, here in New England.

We keep hearing rumor and rumor, but no FACT for bases here.

You know not of what you speak! There are thousands of AM users in the band -- military aircraft. Try searching 138-144 & 148-150.8Mhz in AM, 25kHz steps. It's used frequently for interplane comms, and as I mentioned, the Thunderbirds. It was a primary US military aviation band (using AM...) well before the 225-400MHz military band was established. Even you should know that most of the federal gov't FM LMR users in that spectrum have been in the process of migrating up to 406-420MHz & now more recently 380-420MHz systems.

Hooligan

I am spoiled in that I live/work within VHF/UHF monitoring range of all Nellis & NTTR aircraft operating above about 3000' (that's often everything but the Rescue Squadron & Special Ops helos) so I realize I'm spoiled in the amount of "Victor" band military aviation comms I hear, as well as the 225-400MHz stuff and the 30-88MHz "Fox-Mike" stuff that the A /OA-10s & helos like to use.

I do search 138-144/148-150.8MHz in AM & FM modes frequently, & predominantly what I've heard over the past decade, besides Civil Air Patrol & MARS, & USCG Aux has been military aircraft, in AM mode. The average flight (two or more aircraft flying together) will use UHF to talk to their controller (ARTCC, AWACS, FAC, TACP et al) but then a VHF 138-144/148-150.8MHz AM freq for 'interplane' comms, often a little bit of official traffic & a lot of BS'ing to pass the time, depending on what's going on.
The only time I've caught any tactical comms of interest in that spectrum using FM mode, once it was (apparently) Naval Criminal Investigative Service with an airborne surveillance, and once Air Force Office of Special Investigations with a ground mobile surveillance, both in the San Francisco Bay area. The Monterey Military Community PD (Defense Language Institute/Presidio of Monterey, Naval Postgraduate School & Ord Military Community) were on FM in that spectrum, and I seem to recall Naval Base Ventura County's LMR nets were in the 140s FM (as most Navy/MC LMR nets were) too.

Status
Not open for further replies.