NDF on the Washoe County EDACS System

Status
Not open for further replies.

als365

I noticed that NDF is on the talk group list for the Washoe County EDACS System, but whenever they key up, I can’t hear them on the 800 system, only on their VHF frequencies. Any comments? Did they put NDF on the list before they integrated the systems or something?

Thanks,
Austin

sigint1

Was: joking
NDF on Washoe EDACS

The were first supposed to come on the system in Feb - keeps getting delayed - have heard them testing a few times - don't know what status is now - they may be waiting for the Washoe EDACS systemwide frequency reprograming to take place - but I don't know for sure.

nhp9943

When you say combined did RFD augment the staions with crews and apparatus, or did they do as Eastfork did and take back the equipment that was purchased with county monies and kick NDF to the curb. Please clarify as there is a big difference.

als365

Thanks guys for the answers. You confirmed what I thought all along - that they put the TG's up on the list but had not migrated yet. If anyone discovers that they've finally migrated, be sure to post a thread. Will this be a full switch or a simulcast with VHF? Will the VHF frequencies still be in use and will you be able to talk on them or will you need an 800MHz radio? Also I noticed while listening to the fire in Verdi yesterday that TM MAIN is now on the EDACS system. It is 0410, or 03-032 depending on how your radios are set up. The display name on the list is RFD FIRE.

SCPD

QRT
When you say combined did RFD augment the staions with crews and apparatus, or did they do as Eastfork did and take back the equipment that was purchased with county monies and kick NDF to the curb

When I first transferred to the Toiyabe National Forest in 1981 NDF was providing fire protection and prevention for the Toiyabe between I-80 and the California border under contract. I thought this was a bit strange given my experience in the Forest Service. NDF was also providing fire suppression/prevention on much of the Humboldt National Forest in eastern Nevada. Smith (I cannot remember his first name) was the state forester at the time. I transferred to the Inyo in 1988 and lost track of the situation up there. Sometime after that I heard that the contract with NDF was no more. In 2002 I was on the Cannon fire as a RACES volunteer for Mono County and talked with some Storey county fire fighters and heard that the county, as they put it "kicked NDF out and formed their own county fire department". Now you say the same type of thing happened in Douglas County. What has happened to NDF?

As far as the Forest Service, with the empasis changing to fire management and shifting away from strict fire control, you really can't manage resources in fire dependent ecosystems using a contractor to suppress fire. It would be like contracting out your stomach functions when you still are eating the food and have your own intestines.

Status
Not open for further replies.