Voice Inversion in Mesquite, NV

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Database Admin
I was in Mesquite, NV a few weeks ago and heard plenty of voice inversion in the 154-155 MHz range. I even ran Close Call and picked up additional scrambled speech in the 151 MHz range. An educated guess would say this was probably Mesquite PD or some other local law enforcement. In the past I remember hearing Mesquite PD in the clear. Can anyone confirm if they are using encryption now or was this perhaps some other user?

Junior1970

Mesquite PD

Mesquite PD has been scrambled using voice inversion since around 2002. The only channel I have heard scrambled is the PD channel: 154.845. The Fire channel 154.415 is in the clear,or it was when I was last in Mesquite in May. All hope is not lost however. I purchased a descrambler from CTP in West Virginia before my May trip and plugged it in to an old Uniden 30 channel when in my motel room ( I also plugged it into the 2067 in the car while in town) with success! You don't hear a lot of juicy stuff just traffic stops and the traditional police business like domestics and burglaries. So I don't know what the deal is with the scrambling. You can order the outfit at ctpdescramblers.com for around $90 including both AC and DC adapters.

brandon

Database Admin
Junior 1970, Thanks for the information regarding Mesquite. That is the freq I remember hearing now that you posted it.

Funny how all of these small towns use encryption. From what I understand, Indio, CA (small desert community near Palm Springs) also uses encryption for PD. I also remember hearing voice inversion somewhere on the way to Yellowstone from UT.

kd7gxu

Premium Subscriber
Sheridan Wy

I was up in Sheridan Wyoming recently, and one of the Sheriff channels was running voice inversion for their secret squirrel stuff. It sounded like they just wanted to be able to cuss on the radio and talk nasty about people to me. Scottsbluff Nebraska was also using inversion for anti-drug work.
The descramblers work unless the inversion is rolling code.
We also voice inversion where I work for two of our channels. It is very cheap compared to encryption. We use Icom radios and the voice inversion option was $50 per radio in radios that cost $250. Compare that to a $3000 Motorola with encryption. By the way, you can also use software and a sound card on a computer to re invert the audio.

Be careful, it is against the FCC rule to decrypt communications - I don't know if that includes voice inversion or not. As long as you don't repeat anything you hear I suppose it would be fine. Happy listening!

Status
Not open for further replies.