Nhp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could any one help me out with the Nevada highway patrol Freq and PL codes for las vegas area? I appreciate it. Any other freq with codes would be appreciated.

Bone.

n7jei

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Has NHP left the Nevada shared edacs system? If not, that's where they are. I listened to them last month on my last trip to Vegas. P.S. Trunked systems don't use PL tones. Enjoy your visit. I'll be headed there in a week too.

KF7RAY

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Has NHP left the Nevada shared edacs system? If not, that's where they are. I listened to them last month on my last trip to Vegas. P.S. Trunked systems don't use PL tones. Enjoy your visit. I'll be headed there in a week too.

No, they are still on the system so I am confused as to what is being asked.:confused:

bhauck

As of about 30 seconds ago, hearing NHP on the Nevada shared system per Radio Reference info that has been the same for at least a couple of years.

Have fun.

bikinjohn

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROIDX Build/4.5.1_57_DX5-26) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

The frequencies did change a couple of months ago and there was a thread on it. You have to deduct a certain amount from each frequency as long as it doesn't go below a certain point. I don't know if the database has been updated with the correct frequencies.

SCPD

QRT
The RR database was updated with the correct rebanded frequencies shortly after the rebanding occurred.

KJ6HCB

Is the database still correct as to NHP? Ill be coming through in a couple of weeks.. anythign special I need to know to program the system in a BC780XLT or BC785D?

IDCowboy1

I recently submitted updates to the Elko area only after having to look up the data in the FCC database. Took RR a while (about a month) to post the changes I submitted. The FCC database is the most accurate source for looking up frequencies and trunking information. Since NHP is on the EDACS system you have to ensure the frequencies are entered in the proper order for everything to work. The FCC database lists frequencies in "channel" order, which you in turn enter into your scanner as the LCNs. Here's the link for the system in Vegas so you don't have to fish around for two days like I did.

ULS License - Public Safety/Spec Emerg, 806-821/851-866 MHz, Trunked License - WPWK236 - UNIVERSITY AND COMMUNITY COLLEGE SYSTEM - Frequencies Summary

Now mind you it looks like UNLVs stuff, but it's really NSRSs.

Last edited:

JoeyC

The FCC database while in theory should be accurate for licensed stations, in reality there are unlicensed operations out there. The FCC database will not tell you what frequencies are used for what purpose, does not give CTCSS tone or DCS code information and certainly doesn't give LCN information for EDACS systems. The radioreference database is probably the most reliable source for scanner programming information as information in the FCC database is often not complete when looking to program a trunked system as frequencies although licensed, maybe dropped and reconfigured to other sites that a single listing in an FCC page doesn't represent.

IDCowboy1

Actually if you look closely at the NSRS stuff in the FCC database it does give you the proper order of LCNs for the NSRS EDACS system. The key is to retreive the information on the FB systems, not the mobiles. All it takes is paying attention to the Channel #s as they are posted. How do I know this you may ask? Well I was able to use that information to load up four different NSRS repeater sites into my scanner and have all four work perfectly on the first try. Pure dumb doo-dah luck? Maybe. If the state of Nevada is running a bunch of "unlicensed" operations, my former and current employers wouldn't like that too well. Especially since three of their sites are not more than 50 feet away from three sites that I maintain. I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIIIIIGGGGHHHHLLLYYYYYYY doubt that a state public safety radio system wouldn't conform to FCC licensing rules. Especially when my current employer has shut down authority on unauthorized systems operating near any of our sites. Oh and I forgot to mention AGAIN, the FCC database is where I got the new updated NSRS information concerning the Elko area when RR oddly enough wasn't even close to being right.

Last edited:

JoeyC

You cannot rely on FCC database for EDACS LCNs in all cases. In many instances the LCN is in sequential order, but not all.
You must not have been around several years ago when the entire state of Nevada was running an unlicensed highway patrol network.

IDCowboy1

I've spent the good majority of my life between Idaho and Nevada. If NHP was running a statewide network completely unlicensed as you say it was, it wouldn't have lasted past the first couple of transmissions. It was licensed, it just didn't show up as "NHP" in big neon letters. Now on to the important stuff. K6HCB use sites 005, 006, 027, and 201 from the database and cross check them with the link I sent you using the license for each site. That should pretty much cover all of Clark county for you as you come through.

Last edited:

JoeyC

IDCowboy1

No, what I said was that just because the license doesn't say NHP on it doesn't mean that the NHP can't use those frequencies. For example, if you read the admin details for the NSRS for Elko it says NDOT. Not NHP, not Nevada DPS, not Joe's Bar and Grill. Does that mean the NHP can't use that system? Not at all. I would suggest you read into spectrum management sometime.

JoeyC

If it were OK and had authorization from the FCC for NHP to operate on the railroad freqs and others in question back in 2003 there wouldn't have been all the fuss that there was about it would there?

The details on the current FCC license is not what we're talking about.

YOU said the 150mhz freqs were licensed, just not to NHP. If the same authorization that exists on the current 800mhz license existed on the 150mhz license back then, why did the FCC get involved and make a big issue of this?

You also said:

I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIIIIIGGGGHHHHLLLYYYYYYY doubt that a state public safety radio system wouldn't conform to FCC licensing rules.

Which we know is not true, unless the Las Vegas Sun story is fiction.

Point being made in this thread, is that the FCC database is not the best source for programming a scanner. The radioreference database in many cases WINS.

sigint1

Was: joking
NHP was originaly licensed by FCC on the 150 MHZ trunked system on an STA (Special Temporary Authority) basis - they did not follow up on getting the system properly licensed (was a conflicting story as who was to blame) but at any rate the STA expired and the FCC eventually started giving the freqs out to others some of who then complained because they were still using the system - FCC gave them (i think 30 or 60 days) to vacate the frequencies or face a very substantial monetary fine - I don't recall now if they actually had to pay a fine but the FCC was definately breathing down their neck - some of the freqs were I believe eventualy properly licensed but not as trunked system - Reno/Sparks/Carson area NHP was shifted to the Washoe County Regional Communications System (800 MHZ EDACS) that was just coming on line - NHP still operates on this system today in Northwest Nevada - they then switched to NDOT and NSRS trunked system as they got it up and going. But the bottom line is - yes they were operating an unlicensed system for a while. (6-8 Months)

Status
Not open for further replies.