Another OpenSky System Bites The Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

radact

The second paragraph on the first page is what's going on here. The last paragraph on the 2nd page is what it's supposed to be all about but, the Knukleheads in charge don't want to do the right thing.

Quote from the article:

"We've got $5 million worth of equipment that means nothing to us if we walk away."

Sell it on Ebay. Or, sell it to Metro, they'll buy it.

With $5 million spent, West Palm Beach mayor wants to ditch faulty police radios

talkpair

"We've never been able to get a handle on what our future costs will be," Muoio said. "That's not a good way to make a decision."

This is the first time I've seen anyone raise the question about "future costs" of OpenSky........or any digital 2-way system for that matter.

It's pretty much uncharted territory.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
The least expensive way to go is to take the existing radios, switch to P-25 or analog for that matter and wait until the county goes digital. Then the Harris radios will fit right in. Dumping the equipment isn't the problem it's the modulation scheme and protocol. If Palm Beach leaves the consortium do they lose all their initial investment? Is that the 5 mil they are talking about or is it the subscriber equipment replacement. If it's the subscriber equipment, then take that and reuse it or sell it. If they lose out on the infrastructure, they may have a case with the consortium for money back due to the system not working for Palm Beach.
The future cost talked about I believe are where is Palm Beach going with it's radio system and who much that is going to cost to rep[lace or upgrade.

AlexC

Database Admin
Muoio previously called on Harris and the consortium to conduct a wide-range final test, which would cost at least $100,000, to prove that the radio system would work in West Palm Beach. But Muoio said the system never would have passed because of the consortium's decision a decade ago to save money by setting a low standard for building penetration.

There you go. The consortium made a decision to save money over building a system that would operate properly in the geographical region it was spec'ed out for. I'm going to say I am not an OpenSky fan (though in talking with some of the radio tech's it seems pretty cool and advanced for it's time on the market) but this really is not a loss for harris.

"Oh, I'll buy a computer but I'm not going to buy the hard drive" and then ask why it does not work. That's smart.

Hopefully MA/Comm or whoever owned OpenSky when they signed the contract put a note in the contract saying if you choose not to do this you are on your own when it fails or does not work...

Status
Not open for further replies.