Nevada Scanner Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackVO

I will be vacationing in NV and would like to know if it is legal to operate a scanner in a vehicle? Thanks

TOUGHLIFE

As far as I know there is no State law forbidding the possession or use of a scanner in a motor vehicle inside Nevada. Just use good judgement when monitoring in a mobile or walking environment when around people. Don't call undue attention to yourself.

als365

This is by no means the official word, but when I used to live in Florida, the law was that you could have a scanner in your vehicle if you were a licensed HAM radio operator, emergency worker, or you had a special letter authorizing you to have one in your vehicle. It may be the same here. I don’t really pay attention since I’m a VFF and EMT and have enough scanners to qualify as a police department emergency dispatch center. Please remember that no matter what your “title” is, it is illegal to use a police scanner to aid you in committing a crime (not to mention the crime is illegal too).

joen7xxx

NV Laws

There was a move afoot during the last legislature to tighten up frequency lists etc. making them classified documents by Mr. Perkins of Las Vegas, but cooler and smarter heads prevailed. There is nothing in the NRS or NAC that regulates scanner possession or use in a vehicle at this time. Just don't do something stupid, like hang out near a stakeout etc.

Enjoy your time in Nevada!

Pro-95

Nevada does have a "catch-all" law on the books that basically says if you, while in the act of operating a motor vehicle, are distracted from your safe operation of a motor vehicle or if your actions other than operating a motor vehicle impairs your ability to operate the motor vehicle, you can be cited.

This is the catch-all law that allows law enforement to cite people on cell phones or using their laptop or operating a radio. So don't become too distracted while listening in or inputing frequencies while driving and you should be ok.

JimMayhugh

While I couldn't find anything in the NRS or Clark County Code, I did find some local restrictions:

Henderson Municipal Code:
8.76.010 Definition.
The phrase “short-wave-length radio receiving set” shall mean any radio receiving set capable of receiving any radiobroadcast or any message on any frequency above sixteen hundred kilocycles. (Ord. 74, 1954; Ord. 56 § 1)

8.76.020 Permission required for use in vehicle.
It shall be unlawful for any person to equip or operate, inside of the city, any motor vehicle with a short-wave-length radio receiving set, unless such motor vehicle is used by a peace officer or is used by the state or county government, or is used after permission is first had of the city administrator. (Ord. 56 § 2, 1953)

City of Las Vegas:
10.24.010 Shortwave receiver defined.
“Shortwave receiver” means any radio receiving set capable of receiving any radio broadcast or message on any frequency above fifteen hundred kilocycles.
(Ord. 206 § 1, 1934: prior code § 4-7-5)

10.24.020 Equipping or operation restricted.
It shall be unlawful for any person to equip or operate, inside of the City, any motor vehicle with a shortwave receiver, unless such motor vehicle is used by a peace officer or is used by the State or County government, or is used after permission is first had of the Sheriff.
(Ord. 206 § 2 (part), 1934: prior code § 4-7-6)

Whether these ordinances are actually enforced or not is questionable, but the fact remains that they are on the books, and a violation is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to a $1000 fine, six months in jail, or both.

RFGUY

Since your A.M. broadcast receiver, the one that came with the car tunes to 1600KC, everyone is in violation.
This is a blue law from the days when Police Departments broadcast from 1600KC to 1800KC back in the 1940s and 1950s.
If you get an Amateur license, no one can bother you, unless you should interfere in some way or for that matter tell someone what you heard on that scanner you have.
Actually, I don't think you should worry at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.