Area 51

Status
Not open for further replies.

reconrider8

Kinda comical serious question but for you guys out in the Nevada is area 51 still even there and if so have you ever heard anything such as air traffic ect?

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

Area 51 stilll exists. According to a Phoenix media outlet or two, the CIA has recently made public declassified documents pertaining to it. I haven't read the documents. And I'm much too far from there to monitor any comms pertaining to it.

SCPD

QRT
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

Area 51 stilll exists. According to a Phoenix media outlet or two, the CIA has recently made public declassified documents pertaining to it. I haven't read the documents. And I'm much too far from there to monitor any comms pertaining to it.

There are very few people who are close enough to monitor Area 51. Rachel is close but is quite small. I'm not sure if those in Tonopah are in range. Tonopah is the closest substantial town to the area. I love the drive on U.S. 6 between Tonopah and Ely. I think it is lonelier than U.S. 50. The biggest problem driving it are when black cows are walking around on the highway. I worked at Bridgeport, Calif. on the Toiyabe National Forest for 7 years and there was a story about a person that accepted the district ranger position on the Tonopah Ranger District who was driving his family there to move in. They hit a black cow at night somewhere on U.S. 6 and had to be towed into town. When they got up the next morning his wife took a look at the place in the light of day and promptly said there was no way she would live there. Shortly after there was another vacancy announcement of the district ranger position at Tonopah!

I wonder why the area is being "declassified?" Its existence was denied for years when a huge number of people knew it did, in fact, exist. I have a T Shirt with a picture of Joshua trees with a flying saucer hovering above with the words "Groom Lake Yacht Club" below. Many people laugh right away and most don't seem to get the joke.

The declassified documents may not contain much information other than an acknowledgement the facility actually exists, but I haven't seen them yet. Some of the web sites devoted to it have communications information. They all have pictures of the sign at the main entrance that say no photographs can be taken and the use of deadly force is authorized.

Last edited:

KB7MIB

There are supposed to be daily flights taking employees from either McCarren or Nellis to Area 51/Groom Lake that can be monitored on standard ATC channels, IIRC. They have a specific callsign that I can't recall.
At one point, the US goverment ordered all goverment produced maps remove any reference to Groom Lake. I don't recall what year that was, but old maps would show it, then suddenly, it no longer existed.
I don't know about aliens, or reverse engineering alien technology, but I do believe the place is used for R&D on things like the SR-71, U-2 and stealth technology, among other things. (I'm not saying I don't believe that alien life exists out there, I'm just not sure about their technology being examined/exploited down here lol)

Last edited:

mikew66

Premium Subscriber
There are supposed to be daily flights taking employees from either McCarren or Nellis to Area 51/Groom Lake that can be monitored on standard ATC channels, IIRC. They have a specific callsign that I can't recall.

Not sure if they still have the flights, but they are called Janet Flights. Their call signs were also Janet. IIRC, they are/were white with a red stripe.

SCPD

QRT
A portion of the land Area 51 is located on what used to be BLM land. I think Groom Lake was part of this land. President Reagan signed an executive order withdrawing this public land to enlarge the military reservation. The law does not allow a president to withdraw the amount of land he included in this order and the discrepancy was very significant. No one challenged the action. No one told the BLM and when their employees traveled to the area, some of whom had been there just the day before, they encountered a heavy military police presence.

The Forest Service used to have a two page morning briefing paper called "The Daily Digest" and it covered all natural resource and public land issues. The first I heard of this illegal withdrawal of BLM land was in the Daily Digest. The first report indicated that the Department of the Interior had to track down why their employees were kept off the land they were responsible for and it was a mystery for several days. Finally the answer was obtained and an explanation of the law and acreage a president was allowed to withdraw by the fiat of executive order was included in the Daily Digest. The teflon president got away with it.

The people in the rural areas of Nevada are strongly conservative and this withdrawal along with Reagan's proposal to place the MX missile sites in Nevada did not exactly endear those people with Reagan. The 1984 election results did not favor Reagan in rural Nevada as much as he had in the 1980 election. At one point in the early 80's I drove through one remote town in central Nevada and saw Reagan hanging in effigy.

I would imagine that this is when things were ramped up at Area 51 and more activity was noted there.

Last edited:

abiu01

Premium Subscriber
Groom Lake and Tonopah Test Range airports are both active and very busy. And the Janet flights are still in operation to both of these facilities. If you go to "Flight Aware" on the internet, and enter KLAS for McCarren Airport, and then look for airline codes that begin with WWWxxx. Those are the Janet flights to and from Groom and TTR. The flights all show that they are going to TTR; but if you watch the radar after a flight leaves Vegas, out around Mercury, the Groom flights angle off toward Groom and they disappear from the radar. And it is the same way in reverse; all of sudden a WWWxxx aircraft appears around Mercury enroute to Vegas. Again the flights to TTR all stay on the radar.

KB7MIB

Apparantly, there is some evidence out there that suggests some of the projects from Area 51 have been moved to the Dugway Proving Grounds and the adjacent USAF Test and Training Range in Utah. I don't know how accurate this info is.

Last edited:

gariac

Michael AFB (Dugway), is an active UAV base these days.

Photos and scanner recordings here:
The Unofficial Area 51 Tour

You can scan the Janet aircraft on approach/departure to Groom Lake from Las Vegas. The aircraft are in the 14k/15kft range, so they clear the mountains on part of the route.

Flights to the TTR nearly always have TPH in the flight plan. Flights without TPH are Groom Lake flights.

Rachel is a pretty poor location to scan Groom Lake. There are mountains in the way. The Power Line Overlook is the closest scanning location from the Vegas area without hiking. It use to be on Google Earth, but the markers got removed. [Funny how that happens.]
You start at "Horneys": 37°26'21.77"N 115°22'37.31"W
The overlook is at 37°27'32.03"N 115°25'24.85"W

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I wonder why the area is being "declassified?" Its existence was denied for years when a huge number of people knew it did, in fact, exist.

It's not really being declassified. It's really just an acknowledgement that it exists, a fact that get's more ridiculous to deny.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Kinda comical serious question but for you guys out in the Nevada is area 51 still even there and if so have you ever heard anything such as air traffic ect?

There is a pretty decent website devoted to Area 51 that has a comprehensive list of frequencies heard in the area. The list includes frequencies for things like the Dreamland MOA.

Area 51 - Dreamland Resort

Go to the FAQ page, click on "Preparation and Tips...", and then "Area 51 scanner frequencies".

There's plenty of signals to listen to at all the desert military bases. I've heard some fascinating stuff.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Apparantly, there is some evidence out there that suggests some of the projects from Area 51 have been moved to the Dugway Proving Grounds and the adjacent USAF Test and Training Range in Utah. I don't know how accurate this info is.

There's plenty of noise on the internet indicating that rumor is not true. Dugway is a chemical and bio weapons base, and not suited for experimental aircraft development like Groom Lake is. I would imagine that if anything was to be moved, it would be because Dugway is a more appropriate location for those types of operations.

com501

What got moved was some hazardous materials that needed to be stored at Dugway, left over from the U2 days when the Chinese were flying our U2s on missions.

What goes on today there is plenty of classified stuff. What got released is what USED to happen there, and what fell out of the classified folder that was no longer operationally critical, much as some WWII information from other places has fallen out in recent years, and some information from the Manhattan Project.

As time goes by, more things not related to National Security or projects currently under development or within the operational scope of present day articles will probably continue to be released.

Suffice it to say, the hamburgers in Rachel are mediocre, the bus ride from Alamo sucks, and living on that side of the base is at best, hopefully temporary. At least the crew that flies in from Vegas get to go home to a place that has a Walmart at night.

I can at least delay boredom when I am down there by signing out a truck-v and driving most places I need to go without being babysat.

gariac

An accurate frequency list can be found here:
nellis

The Groom frequencies are not on the frequency pdf since they get changed when published, but the VHF ATC ones are not hard to find.

They have a camera on TIkaboo that is used to snoop on the viewers, but they do upload images from the camera if you want to judge the visibility or lack thereof. The view looks like it is pointing toward Badger Peak.
Tikaboo Peak, Nevada Weather Station

Status
Not open for further replies.