NHP Henry 5000 series identifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I took a rocket run to Carson City and back today, or since it is past midnight actually yesterday. I had a medical appointment and arrived about 30 minutes early. I scanned most of the Carson City frequencies as well as the McClellan Peak NSRS site. I heard Henry 5659, 5069 and 5176 being used. The traffic from one of these units was that he could not handle an accident reported with a vehicle blocking the uphill lane just east of the summit on the Mt. Rose highway due to ice. He suggested that a "car unit" be sent or he could go back and get a car so he could handle it. The only highway patrol units that can't handle ice would have to be a motor unit.

I also heard a 5000 series unit running a plate with the dispatcher that was over modulating being told by the dispatcher about the difficulty she was having copying him. He replied that he had a new helmet and was trying to get the mike position and mike sound level set right. I heard other traffic from 5000 series identifiers responding to the Supreme Court building anthrax incident who were directed to have motor units replace the other NHP units closing the roads. They were then instructed to do this until Carson City SO units arrived on scene, at which time would be released.

By the way, if you hadn't heard, a clerk at the courthouse opened an envelope with white powder in it that contained a note that it was anthrax. The building was cleared and the, I assume, fire department responded with the appropriate protective gear to get a sample for testing. Roads were closed to contain a larger area. The powder was not anthrax and the incident was demobilized quickly.

The 5000 number series identifiers are not shown on the NSRS database page. Has anyone else heard this number series being used? If so, and if others have been able to confirm my observation, can it be added to that page?

When my wife and I were driving home through Las Vegas after Christmas I don't recall hearing this number series, but then I was busy negotiating the traffic there. I am so unaccustomed driving in metro traffic that I had enough to keep track of and may have missed the 5000 series - motor unit correlation. I assume the NHP only uses motor units in the Reno-Carson City and Las Vegas areas, but then again would it be great to use one on I-80 around Battle Mountain. Those lead footers out there would never see them coming!

KF7RAY

Premium Subscriber
They are basicly specialized units from what I can gather. I have heard them ever since I started listening back in 2008 or 2009. They are the ICE units, Motors, prisoner transport, PIOs etc.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks. With a lot of units lumped together into one series I wonder if the second number and possibly the third signify what type of unit it is.

com501

New bikes, new LIDAR, training and extra assignment for special enforcement working the new 580 between Carson and Reno generally. They have also been working the high accident zone east of Carson in Moundhouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.