Status
Not open for further replies.

davedidit

Premium Subscriber
I need help with my Uniden BCD396XT and ARC XT
I have programing issues and I subscribe to RR

737mech

Premium Subscriber
The 396xt is not an apco p25 phase 2 scanner it only does phase 1. Yes sometimes the metro system can be heard on phase 1, I think the last one I heard was Northwest Area Command. It's just testing and the system is not fully in place with all Metro units. When it is complete it will be a phase 2 system. Sorry I have no experience with ARC software, I use freescan. You can look for help in the programing software forums.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Not having a problem with phase 1 or 2. Maybe your scanner could use a little adjusting? Digital Detect and threshold levels etc. What scanner are you using?

737mech

Premium Subscriber
737mech, In what area do you find digital detect, Sentinel profile? Also, can you explain what the threshold level does to the scanner, like level 1 vs level 20?

Open the system from edit favorites list, select a site, click options tab. Select threshold value there. If you set too high you miss alot of the comms. I've been lowering to 4.

AK7DB

New system will be fully encrypted

Spoke with a Metro PD employee working on the new system and he confirmed that they will be running full encryption on the new system once it's fully operational. Their goal is to have it be completely unscannable.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I hope that's not true. But they can do what they want. Outsider looking in, the budget for Metro is tight. Full encryption was not part of the $23 million contract. It was specific about certain units not needing full encryption. The interop with FD and EMS will not work well with full encryption. Certainly there is no need for full encryption, only for special units SWAT/Detectives/Internal Affairs etc. Day to day traffic stops and regular calls have no real need for full encryption. The fact they are digital phase 2 p25 has eliminated 80-90% of the regular scanner listeners from hearing anything. The average price for a phase 2 scanner 350-600. I think metro is safe for a few years from having any problems from scanner listeners. 100% of the scanner heads I know are not criminals anyway. I would hope Metro stays tight on budget and smart about radio decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.