RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Nevada Radio Discussion Forum

Nevada Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Nevada.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2018, 12:02 AM

Default Scanner Laws BLM land??

So I will be traveling to Nevada and spending some time on BLM land. I checked Nevada law which seems to indicate it will not be a problem, But I did not even consider the Federal aspect considering that I will be on BLM land. I could not find anything on the BLM site. Does anyone know if I will have any trouble carrying a scanner on BLM land? A link to the law allowing for it would be nice. I always like to print that kind of thing out and bring it with me. I will also be traveling with Amateur Radio Gear as I am an Amateur Radio Operator. I really don't think it will be a problem but I want to be sure?
Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2018, 12:27 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Laws generally tell you what you can't do, rather than telling you what you can do.
So if you can't find anything about scanning. Then it is legal.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:42 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Just don't transmit with your Baofeng on the BLM repeaters and no one will bother you. There are no radio restrictions in Nevada.
Old 04-09-2018, 1:06 AM

Never had an issue with BLM.

It's rare you'll run into a BLM ranger, they are usually stretched pretty thin, especially in Nevada where they have some huge areas to cover. I think in 30 years of messing around on California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah and New Mexico BLM areas, I've only talked to a BLM ranger twice, and it was the same guy both times.

Every time I had a radio in the truck, CB, amateur radio, commercial radio, scanner, mobile, hand held, etc. They didn't care. Usually they are pretty friendly and will talk a bit. They've got bigger issues to deal with. Some people use BLM land as dumping grounds. Some areas are used heavily for target shooting and some people will leave a lot of garbage on the ranges.

I've never seen anything about scanners/radios on any of the BLM websites.

Your best bet would be to call the BLM office for the district you will be in and ask to speak to a law enforcement ranger. Ask them directly if you are concerned. You can also e-mail them and get it in writing.
Old 04-09-2018, 1:07 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Chances are BLM land has systems that scanner can not code
Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2018, 1:09 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

BLM in Nevada is using some P25 but mostly all other comms are in analog. During Burningman, BLM and other agencies are P25 with AES256 encryption.
Old 04-09-2018, 1:31 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The BLM law enforcement rangers went encrypted in Arizona some time ago. At least in the Phoenix district, but I would have to assume statewide. I used to listen to them regularly.

As long as you're not using your radios to facilitate some criminal activity, you shouldn't have any problems having them with you.

John
Peoria, AZ
Old 04-09-2018, 2:06 AM

I figured it would not be a problem. I just wanted to be sure since i have never spent time on BLM land before. Thank You all for the info
Old 04-09-2018, 2:47 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast77 View Post
I figured it would not be a problem. I just wanted to be sure since i have never spent time on BLM land before. Thank You all for the info
Being federal land, anything that is not a BLM regulation, would be part of Title 18 of the CFR.

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teufler View Post
Chances are BLM land has systems that scanner can not code
10-4 good buddy!

Some of them (including here in NV) have mobile satellite service terminals in vehicles & satphones as well as Mobile Data Computers & normal PCS cellphones, but their P-25 & analog land mobile radio systems in normal, daily use here aren't encrypted.
Attached Images