Scanner Laws BLM land??

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomast77

So I will be traveling to Nevada and spending some time on BLM land. I checked Nevada law which seems to indicate it will not be a problem, But I did not even consider the Federal aspect considering that I will be on BLM land. I could not find anything on the BLM site. Does anyone know if I will have any trouble carrying a scanner on BLM land? A link to the law allowing for it would be nice. I always like to print that kind of thing out and bring it with me. I will also be traveling with Amateur Radio Gear as I am an Amateur Radio Operator. I really don't think it will be a problem but I want to be sure?

kd7ckq

Laws generally tell you what you can't do, rather than telling you what you can do.
So if you can't find anything about scanning. Then it is legal.

com501

Just don't transmit with your Baofeng on the BLM repeaters and no one will bother you. There are no radio restrictions in Nevada.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Never had an issue with BLM.

It's rare you'll run into a BLM ranger, they are usually stretched pretty thin, especially in Nevada where they have some huge areas to cover. I think in 30 years of messing around on California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah and New Mexico BLM areas, I've only talked to a BLM ranger twice, and it was the same guy both times.

Every time I had a radio in the truck, CB, amateur radio, commercial radio, scanner, mobile, hand held, etc. They didn't care. Usually they are pretty friendly and will talk a bit. They've got bigger issues to deal with. Some people use BLM land as dumping grounds. Some areas are used heavily for target shooting and some people will leave a lot of garbage on the ranges.

I've never seen anything about scanners/radios on any of the BLM websites.

Your best bet would be to call the BLM office for the district you will be in and ask to speak to a law enforcement ranger. Ask them directly if you are concerned. You can also e-mail them and get it in writing.

com501

BLM in Nevada is using some P25 but mostly all other comms are in analog. During Burningman, BLM and other agencies are P25 with AES256 encryption.

KB7MIB

The BLM law enforcement rangers went encrypted in Arizona some time ago. At least in the Phoenix district, but I would have to assume statewide. I used to listen to them regularly.

As long as you're not using your radios to facilitate some criminal activity, you shouldn't have any problems having them with you.

John
Peoria, AZ

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I figured it would not be a problem. I just wanted to be sure since i have never spent time on BLM land before. Thank You all for the info :)
Being federal land, anything that is not a BLM regulation, would be part of Title 18 of the CFR.

Sent using Tapatalk

Hooligan

Chances are BLM land has systems that scanner can not code

10-4 good buddy!

Some of them (including here in NV) have mobile satellite service terminals in vehicles & satphones as well as Mobile Data Computers & normal PCS cellphones, but their P-25 & analog land mobile radio systems in normal, daily use here aren't encrypted.

Attachments

• IMG_0824.jpg
    IMG_0824.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 194
Status
Not open for further replies.