New ham radio operator

Status
Not open for further replies.

joen7xxx

Welcome aboard

Hook up with one of the Clubs in your area. There is an Emcomm Convention held in Reno annually.
If you are planning a trip to the Northeastern portion of the State, we have our repeater coverage maps on our website at w7lko.com.
Joe - N7JEH
http://www.qsl.net/n7jeh

SCPD

QRT
Welcome Scott, and if you are ever down in southern Mono County give me a call on Mammoth Mountain, 146.730 100.0 Hz tone.

TOUGHLIFE

2m/70cm Antenna

For something that is not too expensive and that performs well I would suggest examining the MFJ product line. I am looking at page 48 of their 2006 catalog and several items they have might meet your requirements. One of my outside antennas is the MFJ 7 (MFJ-1768)seven element 144/440 Yagi which performs very well for me, is lightweight and only $79.95. It gives you seven elements on UHF and four on VHF. If you combine this with a lightweight TV rotor you can easily move it in any direction you desire and stay inside on those cold winter mornings enjoying those distant radio signals. It makes a great scanner antenna also.

If you want just unity gain and for less money try the MFJ-1754 which is a dual band ground plane for $29.95.

As for an inexpensive mobile you might look at the MFJ-1724B which is a dual band magnetic mobile antenna which is only 19 inches tall and comes for the low price of $16.95. I have used two of these over the years. If someone steals it off
your vehicle you are not out much money.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.