Washoe County Air support - RAVEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyC

Whats up with the sheriffs helicopter here in Washoe county? They almost never fly, or if they do they're rarely assisting in anything. When I lived in San Diego county, the city and county helicopters were VERY active in assisting units on the ground and were often on the scene of calls way ahead of ground units. The helicopter with the use of the FLIR at night was amazing at finding the bad guy.

In the 2 months I have been here I have probably heard RAVEN assist in 3 or 4 calls, and believe me, I have the scanners on ALL the time. I hear many situations that in SD county the ground units would have asked for air support. Here, it seems like the units wait until a situation is cold, THEN call for air support. I've never even heard a situation where RAVEN played a successful role.

I've never heard a call for air support for a pursuit here either. Not that they even do pursuits that they didn't let the guy get away. I've learned that if you've got an itching to run from the cops, Reno is the place to do it. You can get away with practically murder breaking laws and driving like a lunatic and you're free to go here. Granted, having an innocent get injured or killed because some jackass thinks he's above the law isn't worth it, but thats where your air support comes into play. In San Diego, they would often drop a pursuit, but rarely did the culprit escape, thanks to ABLE or ASTREA.

RAVEN, GET ON THE BALL!

Status
Not open for further replies.