Newbie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

23skidoo

Im using a Pro-93 here in Vegas and have the LV Metro Police freq's programed in. 123.8250 (AM) which is the helecopter, I hear, but only one side of the conversation. Is this because of a range issue? Also have the same problem with the tactical freq's, I hear usually only one side of the conversation on 159.195, I'm thinking I'm either missing some freq's or hear only the side thats in range of my scanner. Any suggestions??

BJ_NORTON

123.8250 (AM) Seems to be the control frequency McCarran uses for all helicopters. I don't know why it is listed as a police freq, because it is used to get clearance to land and take off. The only bit I have heard that was real interesting on this shannel was the controller telling other helos to stay away from area X. After a while the metro helo came on and thanked everybody for staying away because they had just caught a bank robber.

As far as 159.195 I don't know what to tell you. I have heard drug stings going on here, but it sounded way too clear to be simplex only. (Deal was going down in front of the Plaza, and I am over in spring valley. All I had was a rubber duck on the HH) Right now it sounds like an auto-burg unit is using the channel. I have noticed that VICE Does seem to use a simplex channel, and it is some of the most interesting stuff to listen too.

hope this helps a little

BJ

BJ_NORTON

You might also check here: http://www.freqofnature.com/ Look under the frequency heading on the left hand menu. Tracy has a lot more info on this site that what is in the data base here. I'm not sure how much is active-I have been into airband monitoring here lately-and I listen to Metro very little, and then mosly just the Vice channel on the weekends.

good luck

BJ

23skidoo

Thanks guys, tonight they're using the ch-10 159.135 Tact1, but I havn't figured out what they are doing! I went down to Radio Shack on Maryland Parkway and the guy there uploaded a bunch of local freq's into my scanner, seems to be a good guy, Ive been trying to figure out programming manually the trunking into my scanner. I've had this scanner for a couple years but gave up on it, now after doing some reading up on it all I've re-ignited my origial curiosity. I havn't put it all together yet. Any local info on interesting freq's is appreciated..

BJ_NORTON

I would program the Nevada state radio system too. I like to listen to NHP when I'm driving around the valley, because they provide the most up to date and detailed traffic info. Wednesday night I was about to get on 95 south, but I heard NHP working a tractor trailer roll over. They had three of the four lanes shut down for quite a while. Lucky for me I knew about this traffic nightmare before I got on 95 and took rainbow instead. For as much driving as I do, this is often vital info for me, and I don't mind the teasing I get from my boss about the silly radio I carry around!

edgeman

I am about ready to give on ever being able to listine to the old NHP. Are they now using the old Motorola Type II system or the Statewide EDAC system? If the are using the Type 2 system, does anyone know how to program it into the RS Pro 95 scanner? I would appreciate any help.

By the way, I am unable to pick up the NHP out here in the Southwest side of town, 215 and Trop. area. I 'm just curious, has anyone given any thought to starting a specific forum or group for Las Vegas scanning?

Thanks to the group.

23skidoo

Programming Motorola Freq's RS 93-95's

Here's a link to how to program in the freq's:

http://support.radioshack.com/support_tutorials/communications/200-0523/67345.htm

I've misplaced my owners manual and havnt messed with the trunking freq's yet, the RS store on Trop/Maryland will down load free about 6 banks of various freq's into your scanner, some trunking, some edacs some regular, Im not showng NHP as being included in that download from RS.

The 2004 edition RS Police Call book says NHP is implementing a statewide analog Motorola system. and list talkgroups as 16032, 16048, 16064, 16080, 16096, 16112, 16144, 16176, 16416, 17344, 17376,
16416, 17344, 17376, 17808, 18608, 20816, 20832, 20976, 2100, 31872, 31888, 31920,

My plan is to try and program in the control channels listed here in the database, then save the above listed talkgroups as they appear on the scanner by pressing the trunk key..

BJ_NORTON

Just as a note, yes NHP is using the statewide Edacs system. Others have pointed out the link for the DB. You want to use the site listed as 9003 Las Vegas; the one that has 15 channels. Make sure when you are programming the radio that you press program-> then trunk, or you will programm all thoses frequencies and the radio doesn't know what to do with them except scan normally - not tunking. Also, I have looked throught the dadtabase here and at a few other sites, and none of them seem to have the correct labels for the NHP talkgroups (the only labes that are correct is LV1 and LV2 but the name doesn't seem correct). I don't know what to put in as "correct," but what is there doesn't accuratly describe the TG use. I have been trying to record TGs for the last week or so and then figure out their true use, but other things have gotten in the way.

I have a uniden 780 in my van, and I have been able to recieve the NSRS fine from 215 and Tropicanna, but there are several places along the beltway where it does drop out (Charleston is the worst).

What would you think about starting a new discussion on accurate TG descriptions for the NHP?

BJ

BJ_NORTON

Ok, sorry about taking so long with this. Saturday and Sunday are days when I get my best radio "work" done, so I should have mentioned this before. During the week while I'm driving around I often get distracted with talk radio (Rush Limbaugh in the morning-then Paul Harvey and Ed Shultz), and forget that I am working on a specific monitoring goal.

Today I took to radios with me; my pro 95 and my BC780, and I had them parked on LV1 and LV2. I wrote down every location that I heard given, and it started to make sense for a while. A clear pattern was forming, and then at the end of the day I heard a call that kind of put my theory out the window. I left the list I made with all the stops and calls at work. seeing as its 12:30AM and I don't really want to drive to work tonight to get the list, it will have to wait until the morning.

I was thinking that if a couple of us just took a few minutes and do the same thing that I did (write down locations of calls and the TG they were made on) that we could make and test theories of TG names quickly and accuratly. It wouldn't have to be all day like I did. In my case I was a captive audience. there isn't really a whole lot to do when you drive around all day except look at the guy next to you pick his nose. I had a clip board laying across both of the arm rests and it was easy to just right down what I heard. A few traffic stops or 10-20 checks would help initially figure out the boundaries.

more to follow soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.