Google Earth NSRS Site map

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardware1197

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

I've had to do a lot of driving in the state and I made a Google Earth map that I found helpful for planning trips so I thought I'd post it. I did the same for Michigan recently when I had to drive around there. BTW Michigan EDACS and NV EDACS have a lot in common! Both in philosophy and operation.

The attached Google Earth .kmz file is a site map for the confirmed sites listed in the RR DB. I also used a variety of sources to confirm the locations of the sites.

I'd like the experts here to look it over and to send me corrections. Note the yellow pins are places I do not think are correct.

I have some general and specific questions as well:

Are these REALLY the only confirmed sites up and operating or should I start mapping the others in the 9xxx series? In addition, one source of data I have has very specific info on NV sites, including their Lats/Lons but there are many more sites than listed in the RR DB. How current is the RR db!?

Eagle Ridge and Eagle Mountain - Are they one and the same?

Jean - Where is the Site for Jean?

I15 and US93 - Is the site at that power plant?

Google Earth required. Turn off 3D buildings in Vegas!

Please send corrections to me at hardware1197@hotmail.com I will version the file and resend it when I have the edits in.

Thanks,

-Dave

Attachments

• Nevada EDACS Final.zip
    6.2 KB · Views: 220

sigint1

Was: joking
Awesome project but one problem and it is by no means your fault but the first four sites listed in the database for the NSRS system are actually part of the Washoe County EDACS System (WCRCS) - if you check the licenses that are listed in those four sites through the FCC database you can clearly see that the licenses are issued to Washoe County not to the State of Nevada - - I have tried to point this out a couple of times in the NSRS RR Database information submission but never got any kind of a response - I have just sent it in again but not very hopeful. The Washoe system was designed from the start to interface with the NSRS system and it does - the towers for the simulcast are on Peavine Mountian and Red Peak - The complex on Spectrum Drive immediately east of the pin you have on Red Peak is the Regional Public Safety Training Center - the building with the brown roof and the tower behind it is the regional communications center - it was still under construction when the photo was taken. NHP's regional communications center is no longer located in Reno. Actually the NSRS also has a tower on Peavine and Red Peak - but they are not simlucast. Also I have heard Peavine called Peavine Peak, Peavine Ridge and Peavine Mountain - take your choice. - Hope this helps some - Let me know if I can be of any help - I do have Google earth on my computer. - Joe

SCPD

QRT
Is there some way of reaching this on the Google map site? I tried downloading this from your file and I guess I don't have the right software to open this type of file. I really don't want more software on my computers either.

hardware1197

Premium Subscriber
ExSmokey - Then you have answered your own question!

Seriously, you do need to load Google Earth on your computer to see the file - it is free, but it can be a drain on older systems with older video cards.

-Dave

hardware1197

Premium Subscriber
Joking,

I have seen your posts before on the matter, and I understand your sensitivity to it. It does make some sense to list them in the NSRS site list from a monitoring standpoint since one must program those sites to listen to NHP, for example when in the area....I'm sure they just list it that way for formatting's sake and simplicity.

The question remains:

Red Peak has a site I mapped, Peavine has a site I mapped, but where is the site called Washoe Metro Simulcast (WMS) physically located? My theory is that WMS is an additional site on Red Peak or Peavine, perhaps just more directional toward downtown. This would jive with your information, would it not?

Thanks for the input.

joking said:
Awesome project but one problem and it is by no means your fault but the first four sites listed in the database for the NSRS system are actually part of the Washoe County EDACS System (WCRCS) - if you check the licenses that are listed in those four sites through the FCC database you can clearly see that the licenses are issued to Washoe County not to the State of Nevada - - I have tried to point this out a couple of times in the NSRS RR Database information submission but never got any kind of a response - I have just sent it in again but not very hopeful. The Washoe system was designed from the start to interface with the NSRS system and it does - the towers for the simulcast are on Peavine Mountian and Red Peak - The complex on Spectrum Drive immediately east of the pin you have on Red Peak is the Regional Public Safety Training Center - the building with the brown roof and the tower behind it is the regional communications center - it was still under construction when the photo was taken. NHP's regional communications center is no longer located in Reno. Actually the NSRS also has a tower on Peavine and Red Peak - but they are not simlucast. Also I have heard Peavine called Peavine Peak, Peavine Ridge and Peavine Mountain - take your choice. - Hope this helps some - Let me know if I can be of any help - I do have Google earth on my computer. - Joe

sigint1

Red Peak and Peavine ARE the simlucast - both sites have the identical frequencies - when we transmit it goes out from both sites at the same time. If you are asking where the dispatch center is that does most of the the dispatching that is the building I told you about - we have our own dispatch center at the airport - but we are still on the same system - there are a whole bunch of agencies on the system - Joe

BJ_NORTON

hardware1197 said:
I15 and US93 - Is the site at that power plant?

-Dave

Yes the site at I-15 and US93 is at the power plant. The NSRS ,at least in southern Nevada, is a bit of a collaboration with Nevada Power. They share many of the same sites and equipment. Several sites use the same control Channel, but use different frequencies for voice. For example, the CC might be on 856.XXX. Nevada power TGs only appear on frequencies below 856.000 and State of Nevada traffic only appears on frequencies above 856.000.

At this particular location I'm not sure if that site (Lenzie Power plant) carries any public safety traffic. I'ld be willing to bet that because it is located on the power plant that it does not. One of these days I'm gonna investigate some of this stuff, but lately its been too hot, and I've been busy with other aspects of life.

I haven't downloaded your google earth map, but several months ago i made one of my own, using information in large part from a post that pro-95 made. Its pretty useful, especially in rural areas that I'm not very familiar with.

hardware1197

Premium Subscriber
Great...thanks for the info....Lenzie...that is on there master radio plan list. It looks like the site at Primm (Big Horn) is also in a power plant...I'm pretty sure Primm carried NHP traffic when I drove through there....

Last edited:

hardware1197

Premium Subscriber
Well that's new information. I am only trying to identify the location of the transmitter sites. Here's what RR says:

001 Washoe Metro Simulcast

024 Peavine

026 Red Peak

It appears to me that site 001, 024, and 026 are three separate tower sites with three separate sets of frequencies. This is the info I have from the RR site, the FCC database, and my third source of info which is an internal "NV 800 Mhz Committee" document I found that lists all the NSRS sites and their latitude and longitudes.

I am surmising that site 001 is the main Washoe site and does indeed simulcast from Red Peak and Peavine, and that there are add'l transmitters on Peavine (024) and Red Peak (026) pointing up and down I80 respectively

joking said:
Red Peak and Peavine ARE the simlucast - both sites have the identical frequencies - when we transmit it goes out from both sites at the same time. If you are asking where the dispatch center is that does most of the the dispatching that is the building I told you about - we have our own dispatch center at the airport - but we are still on the same system - there are a whole bunch of agencies on the system - Joe

sigint1

I am not at home right now to confirm the freqs in my scanner but I am pretty sure that site 24 is Peavine and Site 26 is Red Peak as I remember the Peavine site only has three freqs - these are the two sites for NSRS - they are not simlucast - and about the only thing you hear on them in the Reno area is NDOT and Sierra Pacific Power

Again Site 1 is the Washoe County EDACS system - it is licensed to Washoe County, operated and maintained by Washoe County and operates independently of the NSRS and has nothing to do with the NSRS except it is one of the gateways or core platforms in the Nevada interoperability plan - the other gateways are NSRS, Clark County system and Las Vegas Metro System - the Washoe System can interface with the NSRS - but it is NOT part of it

hardware1197

Premium Subscriber
Thanks J M,

I'm clear on the whole thing now. Now, if somebody can figure out what is the deal with Eagle Mountain/Eagle Ridge...

Status
Not open for further replies.