NSRS, can it be heard statewide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFGUY

This system uses an IMC (INTEGRATED MULTI SITE CONSOLE CONTROLLER) which allows the system to operate as an extended system.
They use a Star Gate Controller to link various locations enabling communications for hundreds of miles.
The entire State system can in fact simulcast throughout the state by this option.
Operations could be transferred to Reno for the entire State or visa versa.
What has probabily been happening is testing of the system.
Many sites sre still not up as yet and since the system seems to have so many failures, they test as they go.
Currently, Reno, Las Vegas and Elko Commands are up and handling traffic in those areas but have to use local VHF at times to communicate.
Outlying areas are still being installed or turned up.

RFGUY

At this time Elko Command is or was on line.
Each command district will broadcast to their individual areas for the most part.
Las Vegas to Southern, Reno to North and Elko to east.
The majority of the time you will not be able to hear the entire State in any one command district unless they option statewide simulcast or when testing that function.
This is of course to the very best of my knowledge!
However, in this system the "SNAFU" problem seems to pop up all to often.
Seems they powers to be refuse to admit defeat with this system regardless of how much it costs the taxpayer.
Politicians have to save face!
When all is said and done, I really hope they suceed in this endeavor for the good of public safety.
I hold very little hope for that happening.

als365

I go to school in Reno and live in Elko County during the summer and winter breaks. NHP Elko is still using VHF. There is a trunked site in Elko but all I hear is Reno NHP on it. I actually live in wells so only listen to that site when I’m in Elko to see if it has changed at all. There are supposed to be sites up all over the county but the only one I hear is Elko. NHP is still using VHF in the Elko district though. I hear them all the way down to just north of Ely, well, Elko, Battle Mountain, Winnemucca, carlin, Hawthorne, Mineral County. I’ve heard them say “Ely control” so I’m thinking that there is another channel for Ely, Austin, eureka, Tonopah and the rest of the southern part of the state excluding Vegas.

BJ_NORTON

I’ve heard them say “Ely control” so I’m thinking that there is another channel for Ely, Austin, eureka, Tonopah and the rest of the southern part of the state excluding Vegas.

yes you are right, there does seem to be another channel for the Ely area. Back in my truck driving days I ran from Elko to Ely 4 times a week. NHP kept me company quite a few times. Currie seems to be the last site to transmit Elko traffic, and then Ely had their own channel. I often heard units working in Mineral and Lincoln counties, but I don't remember anyone in Eureka or Lander counties. Sometimes I would hear Elko patched in, but that seemed to be a rare occurance.

Also I think Wendover has a similar arrangement. I only remember one time when I heard them in Elko, and that was during a chase that went back and forth betweeen Utah and Nevada.

als365

The Elko channel pretty much takes I-80 from Wendover to about Winnemucca and also US95 in Mineral County down to Hawthorne and US93 down to currie. I frequently hear units saying things such as “D6545 10-8 your channel, enrout <some location> reference <something>, can you please advise your partner.” This leads me to believe that the Ely and Eureka, Fallon, Austin channel may be out of Elko also on a different frequency.

Wendover is on the Elko channel. There is not a lot of traffic there because they can’t go past Wendover so there’s no reason to “drive through” as they do from Battle Mountain to Elko and back.

Status
Not open for further replies.