Police & Fire APCO Project 25 for NH

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidgee

Is the state or local police or fire departments in New Hampshire using or going to use the APCO Project 25 system as is currently being done in Massachusetts for the state police? I seem to be getting conflicting information about this. What's the deal?

ecps92

NHSP has been P25 for Sometime.

Common mix-up is P25 [Conventional] vs P25 [Trunk]

NHSP and many Local/County are P25 Conventional

Mass is moving to a P25 Trunk, both 700 and 800

Is the state or local police or fire departments in New Hampshire using or going to use the APCO Project 25 system as is currently being done in Massachusetts for the state police? I seem to be getting conflicting information about this. What's the deal?

KB1VLA

Also remember that the only 800 Meg public safety in NH is Nashua and Manchester's trunks. Everything else is VHF high band.

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
As far as P25, NH was ahead of most of the US (for better or worse). The vast majority of Law Enforcement has been P25 for several years. However, only a few Fire Departments use P25 as a primary mode and all maintain some level of analog capability.

NH's communications landscape is much simpler than Massachusetts. Over 95% of NH operates VHF High-Band; over 99% for Law Enforcement. There are a handful of Fire Departments still on Low-Band, but typically have some sort of High-Band access. State DOT is UHF, Emergency Management is Low-Band (when used). Two cities, Manchester & Nashua use 800Mhz trunked systems; but have some High-Band access (esp. Nashua).

P25 is slow moving on the Fire-EMS side because most are volunteer and/or use toning and pagers (minitors, swissphone) to alert members. Also they have seen the coverage issues police face on a regular basis and understand analog travels farther in our granite rich, hilly environment.

As far as a "Statewide" system. No, that isn't likely to ever happen. NHSP tried awhile back to recruit local PD's so they could grab up their frequencies for a VHF trunked system. But it never materialized. NH tried 800Mhz in the 80's and it was all but a total failure; with the last user (NH Marine Patrol) resurrecting a High-Band frequency they had a few years ago.

mainetrunk

The problem with N.H p25 systems is - If they go into valleys or just in a lower setting, the signal gets distorted. I'vd heard dispatchers many times saying " you went digital,could you repeat? " Its great when signals are getting through 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.