Manchester P25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave2582

Curr: Hudson, NH Lived: Tewksbury/Billerica MA
Over at the Scan ne site, it looks like there's a new system going in for Manchester. About how long does it take for the new system to get up and running? I'm just curious and not familiar with the build outs of the systems. I'm pretty sure it takes a while.

ecps92

Months to Years.
Burn in of transmitters
Adjust reception sites
Adjust and syncronize simulcasting

Bring over DPW first, low priority users, let them play
move over another Dept
then bring over the big boys (PD, FD, EMS)
move frequencies from the old to the new as needed.

And then,, it takes monitors/scannists to determine the actual TG's and try and name them.
Going from an older Motorola TRS to a P25 is easy, generally divide the TG by 16
Going from an EDAC to P25, ouch... just watch the Worcester Mass thread as they get's built out.
OR read the Nashua thead to see how long that has been going on...

Over at the Scan ne site, it looks like there's a new system going in for Manchester. About how long does it take for the new system to get up and running? I'm just curious and not familiar with the build outs of the systems. I'm pretty sure it takes a while.

jrothwell

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have been meaning to post about the new system and have a thread going where people can post information they know about the build-out (progress, timeframe,, frequencies, talkgroups, testing, system layout, cutover, etc). This is the information I have so far:

This system is being replaced by a Motorola P25 Phase I (upgradable to Phase II) trunked system that is currently being built out. It will be 11 channel. The primary site will remain at the same location as the current system and there may be additional sites. The system and police radios will be equipped with end-to-end AES encryption; all other departments will be in the clear. If it stays the way it is now, Police units operate in the clear with routine traffic unless encryption is needed and is manually switched on or off. The city will maintain their inter-operable VHF frequencies and they will interface with the new system.

Police will get High-tier mobiles and portables, Fire will get mid-tier, and all other departments will get low-tier. Only high-tier radios will be encryption capable.

The city will approve the cutover after a 30-day performance test and there will be a 90-day user evaluation period.

wmm1200

You're welcome Dave. We'll all put our heads together and get this system nailed down[emoji2].

Dave2582

Curr: Hudson, NH Lived: Tewksbury/Billerica MA
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have been meaning to post about the new system and have a thread going where people can post information they know about the build-out (progress, timeframe,, frequencies, talkgroups, testing, system layout, cutover, etc). This is the information I have so far:

This system is being replaced by a Motorola P25 Phase I (upgradable to Phase II) trunked system that is currently being built out. It will be 11 channel. The primary site will remain at the same location as the current system and there may be additional sites. The system and police radios will be equipped with end-to-end AES encryption; all other departments will be in the clear. If it stays the way it is now, Police units operate in the clear with routine traffic unless encryption is needed and is manually switched on or off. The city will maintain their inter-operable VHF frequencies and they will interface with the new system.

Police will get High-tier mobiles and portables, Fire will get mid-tier, and all other departments will get low-tier. Only high-tier radios will be encryption capable.

The city will approve the cutover after a 30-day performance test and there will be a 90-day user evaluation period.

So when you say 30 day performance test, is this when all departments are using the new system? What about the 90 day user evaluation period? Is this going on right now with the transit dept using the new system?

aphototaker

Premium Subscriber
I have been closely following the Manchester switch over to P25. They have moved Water Works, and Manchester Transit to the new system. Also Highway / DPW is in the process. I am happy to say with my BCD 436 with the stock antenna pulled in the above mentioned departments crystal clear in So Nashua by the Pheasent Lane mall. This is a huge improvement over the other system.

I upgraded the software on my BCD436 and things seem to be working fine. Also I am told Manchester is ahead of schedule, next department is PD. I am told all will be complete hopefully by September 1, 2016

NFR85

Any updates? As of early afternoon my scanner has been silent. (BCD996XT) Does anyone have the frequencies?

aphototaker

Premium Subscriber
FU Manchester

As of today 8.24.16 it appears Manchester Transit, MHT Highway, and MHT waterworks are all on the new system. I have updated my scanner using the uniden/sentinel software. When the departments above talk the p25 light up on the display verifying they are on the new system. Also using the portable I can receive the above departments all the way to the Nashua / Mass line. With the old system I couldn't get it in all of Manchester never mind leave the city.

I spoke to MPD Asst Chief Capano on Tuesday when I was at PD for a press conference. He said they are switching radios in cruisers and portables but they will remain using the old system until all units are switched and tested. They will then "throw the switch" most likely around the end of September is the prediction. Should they have issues they can go back to the old quickly.

MFD seems to be working on it now as I hear a lot of "test 1,2,3" and when it does it lights up P25

Hope that helps

NFR85

As of today 8.24.16 it appears Manchester Transit, MHT Highway, and MHT waterworks are all on the new system. I have updated my scanner using the uniden/sentinel software. When the departments above talk the p25 light up on the display verifying they are on the new system. Also using the portable I can receive the above departments all the way to the Nashua / Mass line. With the old system I couldn't get it in all of Manchester never mind leave the city.

I spoke to MPD Asst Chief Capano on Tuesday when I was at PD for a press conference. He said they are switching radios in cruisers and portables but they will remain using the old system until all units are switched and tested. They will then "throw the switch" most likely around the end of September is the prediction. Should they have issues they can go back to the old quickly.

MFD seems to be working on it now as I hear a lot of "test 1,2,3" and when it does it lights up P25

Hope that helps

I had ID search on so that should help me. And yeah I've been hearing them doing alot of testing couple days ago.

I take delivery of a home patrol 2 today. Other than updating the database with the uniden software do I have to do anything to pickup PD and FD. Pervious scanners 996T and 396T and older.

Bmacs

Premium Subscriber
As of today - TG 10003 is Manchester FD Dispatch. That is the only FD channel I can hear on the new system so far...

Bill

Bmacs

Premium Subscriber
Right... TG 11003 VERY active with Radio ID 201 (dispatch) talking to multiple other units - all encrypted....

Looks like we won't be listening to Manchester PD anymore... bummer...

Also hearing quite a bit of TG 11017 - encrypted as well - confirmed PD - radio units from TG 11003 show up here as well...

Last edited:

NFR85

Just heard PD on 1465 ID 137. Confirmed via online feed.

Another TG is 1441 Sounds like Fire Alarm? I can hear someone talking about opening/closing circuit breakers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.